Chapter 40

LEO

LEO

Leo: Just finished. On my way there, want me to buy something?

Alena: No need. We just finished dinner, set aside some slices for you.

Leo: Thanks. Will be home in 30 minutes.

I put the car in reverse and make my way out of the school parking lot.

Home ...

In the past, Alena was my home. And because of my idiocy, I lost that home. Looking back today, was protecting myself from possible heartache worth it to be without Alena for eight years? No. Hell, who am I kidding? Life without Alena was heartache. I was coward. A stupid coward. As a consequence, I lost eight years with my children. And now that I've just found my home again, its seems there could possibly be someone trying to harm them.

My grip on the steering wheel tightens. I will not allow that to happen.

By the time I arrive home, it was already 10 o'clock in the evening. I ring the door bell and am surprised to see who answered the door.

"Lei shouldn't you be in bed?"

Lei shrugs in response before responding "Mom is with Lucca. She said you would come so I came down so you won't have to wait long."

"And if it wasn't me? You shouldn't open the door especially this late at night Lei." I said calm yet sternly. This is a serious matter since it concerns their safety.

To my surprise Lei nods and answers "Yep, Mom said I shouldn't open the door for strangers. But I knew it was you Dad." He pauses then points to a stool beside the door. "I checked through the hole thing."

I chuckle both in relief and marvel of my son. With how intelligent they are, I forget that they are actually still 7.

Though I'm not in a hurry for them to grow up.

"It's called a peephole Lei." I give him a pat on the head before continuing "And good job for checking. Now why don't we head inside?"

Lei nods then asks as we walk through the hallway "Are you hungry Dad? I can microwave your pizza if you want."

"It's okay, I can do it myself. You should be in bed. Aren't you tired from the game?"

"Nah ..." Lei shrugs and makes his way to the kitchen. When I catch up to him, I see him take out a plate of pizza from the fridge. While he is microwaving the pizza, I send Alena a text.

Leo: Hey I arrived. Lei let me in, we're in the kitchen.

"What do you want with the pizza Dad? We have Coke, milk, and Fanta." Lei asks as he stands by the microwave.