Doesn't Even Matter

Before we begin TW//light swearing, slight violence? and slight lesbophobia (I'm a lesbian don't cancel me lol)

[Oliver's POV]

She breathed next to me. She reminded me of Emaline. God, everything reminded me of Emaline. But I made this decision. Whatever. It doesn't even matter. SHE doesn't matter. I was sleeping with tens while she wasn't putting out. She was stuck in a small town; I had the world at my disposal. I smirked at that thought.

"What are you smirking at?" The girl breathed softly.
"Nothing" I sighed as I turned over, away from her.

I didn't even know this poor girl's name for god's sakes. I have to refocus on my goal here anyways. I had brought a bit of money-- which would last me another 4 months or so, but I would soon run out, and there's no way I can show up in Boring. Emaline would slit my throat. The girl groaned and sat up. She looked mad, but I didn't care.

"I'm leaving." She stated firmly.

He didn't bother to respond. He got ready, and walked to the nearby theatre. He looked at the corkboard with announcements and future opportunities. He glanced over the papers stuck to the board, and then settled on a paper with "The Phantom of the Opera" in big letters on the top of the front page. He decided he would audition for that, and then "Beauty and the Beast" as a back-up plan. He would probably get at least one part in either of those, right? He somehow had a hard time convincing himself of that.

"I mean... it's been a long time since I've acted in a play..." He mumbled to himself.

Uncle Vanya got cancelled and that stupid movie... well I hadn't stuck around to finish that role. Even if I had though, it probably wouldn't have helped. I mean movie acting is pretty different than stage acting.
He got back to his apartment. He decided to make brunch for himself. He made bacon and toast. The bacon was thick with fat and delicious and the toast was almost burnt and slathered with butter. He ate slowly. First he thought of the plays, then he thought of the girl from this morning, then he watched the pigeons fly through NYC. He had finished at nearly 11:30. He decided to walk down to the local library. Surely they have what he needs...

[Flash Sideways]

[Luke's POV]

I thought about what my dad said. The other night, he seemed genuine, but apprehensive. But was he apprehensive about me or my mom? He hurt me. And in order for us to have a relationship is that he needs to know how he truly hurt me. Plus, I have my mom and Ken-- and Kate. Thinking about Kate made me ponder about who else... IF anyone else knows. I mean.. about the kiss.
The phone rang.

"Hello." McQuaid stated.
"Hi?"
"Can I come over. I have some... I want to tell you something."
"Oh- uh- yeah okay."

He sounded flustered and upset. And anyway, my mom is at work and isn't coming back for a few days.

"Hello." McQuaid said robotically.
"Hi" I smiled.
"I found out something catastrophic and I believe it is not possible to process"
"Huh?"
"Ok, I have confidential information. You cannot tell anyone else."
"Ok?" I said as I walked to the kitchen. He followed me in, shutting the door behind me.
"So I walked into the auditorium the premiere night and I saw Emaline- I saw Emaline and Kate kissing." He looked extremely stressed out about this.
"...yeah."
"Why are you acting like this is common knowledge?"
"It kinda is. Kate told me later that night," I shrugged.
"So you're just ok with your ex-girlfriend being a lesbo?" He said interrogatingly. "Why is he so mad?" I thought.
"Yeah? I don't get why you're so mad?"
"Nevermind. I doesn't even fucking matter."
"No. Tell me why you're so mad."

I was determined to figure this out. To get the answer out from him.

"Well, I believe it to be obvious, but I have a thing for Emaline. We really connected on set."
"...Oh?" I cocked my eyebrow.
"Yes"
"Ok well... what do you want to do about that? Kate and Emaline are kinda? together?"
"I... don't know.."
"WOW for once McQuaid doesn't know the answer," I teased. He gave me an annoyed look.

[McQuaid's POV]

I DO feel bad about this situation. I really can't do anything about it either. She tricked me into thinking she liked me. Or maybe I tricked myself into thinking she liked me. It did make sense, that day at the motel. She got pissed at me after Kate and Luke left. It had all been laid out in front of me; I had known all the information but I didn't think it was related. Luke and I sat there for the good part of the afternoon. We kept trying to think of ideas.

"You could fake date!" Luke said with a grin.
"Fake date?"
"Yeah! Before Kate and I broke up, she told me she was a lesbian, so we started fake dating."
"But that's not real..."
"That's true," He said disappointed.

We sat there for a little while longer. We kept ~trying~ to think of solutions, but there was one we kept going back to, and it would never work. Besides, Kate and Emaline were probably making out right now. That would be hot if I wasn't emotionally invested in one party. Luke looked like he wanted to say something, but then he didn't. He looked like he stopped himself at the very last minute. I looked questioningly and him and he shrugged.

I wish I could be back in the forest. The forest that made me fall in love with her. And then when I kissed her, for the movie, I thought that she was in love with me. Clearly she wasn't... or maybe she was?

"Hey Luke?"
"Do you think if I asked Emaline out she would turn me down? I mean Kate accepted when you asked."
"I mean maybe? You would probably have to go all out though, and I think her and Kate might be dating."
"Oh... hmm."