Chapter 8

Before they knew it they were on their way to school.

Jade got Sirius his bone as always, Remus some wolfsbane, James and Lily nothing.

Later that night Jade was in Dumbledore's office again.

She was watching the next penesive.

"Sir, is it true that Professor Merrythought is retiring?" Tom asked.

"Tom, I couldn't tell you

if I knew, could I? And by the way, thank you for the pineapple. You're quite right.

It is my favorite. But how did you know?" Slughorn said.

"Intuition." he said.

"Good gracious, is it that time already? Off you go, boys, or Professor Dippett will have us all in detention."

Next was Tom tapping Slughorn's time castle.

"Look sharp, Tom. Don't be caught out of bed after hours. Is something on your mind, Tom?"

"Yes, sir. See, I couldn't think of anyone else to go to. The other professors... Well, they're not like you. They might misunderstand."

"Go on."

"I was in the library the other night. In the restricted section. And I picked something rather odd about this rare magic. I thought perhaps, you could illuminate me. It's called, as I understand it, Horcrux."

"I beg your pardon? I don't know anything about such things and if I did, I wouldn't tell you. Now get out of here at once and don't let me ever catch you mentioning them again!"

When they were gone they sat down.

"Confused? I'd be surprised if you weren't." Dumbledore said.

"I don't understand." she said.

"This is perhaps the most important memory of them all. But it's also a lie. This memory has been tampered with by our old friend, Professor Slughorn himself." Dumbledore said.

"But why would he tamper his own memory?"

"I suppose he's ashamed of himself." Dumbledore said.

"Why?"

"Why indeed. I asked you to get to know him and you did so. Now I want you to persuade him to divulge him his true memory. Any way you can."

"I don't know him that well sir. Even though I'm in Slytherin I still don't know him that well." she said.

"This memory is everything. Without it, we're blind. Without it, we leave the fate of our world to chance. You two have no choice. You must not fail."

She nodded.

"I'll do the best we can sir." she said.

The next day she was in potions and listening to Slughorn.

Jade had a little trouble focusing on class.

"I highly recommend, reacquaint yourself with the chapter on antidotes. Now, I'll tell you more about bezoars in our next class. Right, off you go. Elise, don't forget your rat tail." he said.

When everyone was gone he saw Jade.

"Aha! If it isn't the seventh year princess of potions herself! What do I owe this pleasure?" he said.

"I was just wondering if I could ask you something." she said.

"Ask away, dear girl. Ask away." he said.