Chapter 2

"Oceanbutterfly, Waveclaw, Krillstare, Whitesilver, Heronlash, Lonelyblue, Redwhisker, Timepaw, Wingpaw, Mothpaw, Gorgepaw, Bushjump, Glarehop, Gravelpaw, and Melodyforest."

Redwhisker was relieved to hear his name in the list of Gathering attendees that Bronzestar was calling out from atop the WetRock. If there was one thing he was always guaranteed to go to, it was Gatherings. Initially he had been banned from them when he was younger, due to RiverClan's self-inflicted shame upon daring to have a member that wasn't a cat. But when RiverClan realized the other Clans had mild fear about their fox, they were quick to drop all their hatred and horror against Redwhisker for a single night so they may subtly show off their powerful canine warrior. So much for not wanting to scare other Clans by having the fox mark borders. Then again, he had never found consistency to be one of his Clan's virtues.

Oceanbutterfly sent a polite, soft smile Redwhisker's way, and he mirrored it back. He wasn't sure exactly what his relationship with the deputy was, but it seemed to be positive. She had not spoken to him many times, not like Whitesilver, but she nonetheless had more respect for him than the average Clanmate. Never a disappointed frown, a disgusted cringing look, merely for having to share a space with him. She seemed altogether calm and glowing, and even sometimes whispered a compliment or quiet assurances when they briefly passed by one another. It made Redwhisker's fur warm and his blood flow faster, if only for a little bit.

"We'll be leaving now. Gleambeak, you are in charge of all cats guarding the camp," Bronzestar thundered. "Come, RiverClan!"

As Bronzestar leapt down and Redwhisker began to follow him with the stream of other Clanmates who assembled around their leader, he allowed his unconscious mind to guide his paws while tuning his ears to specific conversations around him. He heard Krillstare murmur to Hopfoot not far away outside the nursery, "Don't tell me to be safe. You be safe." He heard Lonelyblue promise Ghastlyview and Mouseswim, who were stirring up a storm of anger about not going, "I'll tell you every last detail! You know I have a great memory." and he thought a quarter-moon back to when Lonelyblue forgot Redwhisker's name and called out to him with the word "fox," moving cats around him into a panic.

RiverClan trickled out of camp. Redwhisker made sure to stay by Whitesilver's side. He enjoyed Gatherings and all, but just because RiverClan decided to be nice to him for this one night did not mean the other Clans would be. And since Oceanbutterfly was stuck up on the tree's roots, gazing down upon the other Clans as a deputy, that meant Whitesilver was the only one he could really associate with.

Bronzestar moved directly perpendicular to the lake's shoreline. Only after the Clan had come upon it did he turn to the right and begin leading his Clan to the giant fallen tree that would serve as their bridge to the island where all four Clans would unite.

The closer Redwhisker got to the island, the more nervous he became. Though his movements were, for all intents and purposes, natural and smooth, on the inside he felt like his organs were freezing over. The black-blue tar pit that the lake had become under the dim light of the night reflected the weight he felt in his belly. Just because RiverClan agreed not to hate him for one night didn't mean the rest of the Clans did. While he often enjoyed Gatherings just for the benefit of getting to see a large amount of other cats he never normally met, he dreaded the sheer amount of hostility he routinely received.

Eventually they came upon the large fallen tree, and Redwhisker thought back to the history he had been taught. Where the traitorous WindClan deputy Mudclaw had been crushed under the tree by StarClan's wrath, due to inciting a rebellion against his leader. Redwhisker shivered as he clambered atop the tree with his Clanmates, aware of Mudclaw's rotting bones somewhere beneath the wood.