Chapter 28

All those moons ago, Redwhisker could have never fathomed what his chance meeting with a random squirrel on a cheerless solo hunting patrol would evolve into. Back then, he stared into her dark brown beady eyes, intrigued by the mystery and radical fervor that such an anomaly like her possessed. And those now-plenty moons back when he first reentered RiverClan after his banishment and stared into Bronzestar's hateful eyes and didn't turn away for once, he already thought he had revolutionized himself and gone as far as he would ever go in life.

And now he stared at the squirrel's huge fluffy tail, her back turned to him as she observed none other than the massive Moonpool laid out in front of her. The two non-cats were alone together, both still recovering a bit from the massive journey that they had just taken to get to this place, though most of their silence was borne out of the sheer wordlessness both of them had at this situation. Neither of them had really ever imagined themselves being here.

Redwhisker smiled gently, flattening his ears self-consciously. There was one thing he wanted to say, he knew for sure. "Good luck," he murmured to Acorntail.

The squirrel's face turned to look over her shoulder, and she raised an eyebrow with a smile. "You know, we could've been getting our nine lives together." She sat up and winked. "But you were a coward."

Redwhisker laughed. "Come on. Does you imagine me as a deputy? As a leader?"

Acorntail shrugged. "It's not too bad. And it's been getting easier. You know that Lonelystar likes you. You're just a wuss."

The tod rolled his eyes, curling his tail over his paws. "Yes, I am. You got me."

She turned back toward the Moonpool, but did not yet touch her nose to it. Redwhisker could sense some hesitation in her mind, the way she stared at the pool as though mustering up the courage to engage with it. He leaned down and chuckled, "You know, Caterpillarhug and Metallicstar are cheer you on."

Acorntail broke out of her trance into some small laughter. "I don't need you to tell me that."

Redwhisker grinned at her, before one thought led to another. Was her Clan cheering her on as well? He faltered, losing his smile and asking abruptly, "How did your Clan react?" She perked her ears backwards. "You know...when you wanted warrior from other Clan to come with you? Instead of own medicine cat?"

Acorntail snorted. "They got mad, of course. But they would've found something to get mad about anyway. If I chose the medicine cat, you just know the stupid herb-preacher would whine about my posture or something."

Redwhisker laughed, even if this view was pessimistic at its core. If Acorntail was unbothered by her Clan's opposition, then it must not be all that bad. "I guess that fair. Your aunt did appoints you last-minute after all."

"Mhm. In true Metallicstar fashion." Acorntail stared at her reflection for a bit longer, and Redwhisker wondered if she was finally ready to do it and receive her lives. She continued to delay, though, gazing at it with wide, nearly-unblinking eyes. Redwhisker began to think she just found it pretty. However, after a short time, she abruptly turned her head around, a strange type of fear in her eyes. "We'll still be friends after this, right?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, when I'm leader, you'll still be there for me, right? And I'll be there for you? A little more than you because I'm cooler than you? But you'll still be there? Right?" Acorntail rambled a bit. She seemed to try to pass it off as a superiority ramble, but something in her voice suggested she was genuinely concerned for how their relationship would change.

Redwhisker grinned, finally knowing the reason for her stalling. "Of course. Why would it ever change? You will be busier, yes, but we still make time for each other."