Chapter 7

"You already know why you're here. Explain yourself," demanded Bronzestar.

Redwhisker gulped. It was not the first time he had been in the center of his Clan's camp, faced by Bronzestar on the WetRock, and surrounded by interrogative Clanmates. But this time was wildly different, because this time he had actually broken a rule. Usually the outrage was fabricated at some small misstep of his, or even unleashed at some faux rule made up specifically to get him in trouble. But this he was one hundred percent guilty of.

Wilting and dipping his head, Redwhisker sighed, "What do you want for hear...?"

"Your mutt brain is rather small to not know already," Bronzestar muttered. Redwhisker winced, eyeing Oceanbutterfly. She was gazing at him with a consistently guilty and sympathetic expression, but when he locked eyes with her, she averted her eyes elsewhere. Bronzestar continued, "I want to hear an explanation as to why you went near the WindClan border and why you started up small talk with a squirrel, of all things."

Redwhisker perked his ears. There really were no more lies to be perpetuated, were there? The truth seemed like the most innocent thing right now. Inhaling, he stated firmly, "I was hunting, and I was not catch much. I got frustrate, and I did not notice I was get close to border. I smell squirrel; I run at it; then it dodge and attack me. I yelled at it and it responded. It was surreal; we talked for a bit before part ways."

"And why did you not inform the Clan of this?" Bronzestar seethed through his teeth.

Redwhisker dipped his head. He had no room for lies, once again. "I was scare that you would be mad at me for go near border. I also was thinking that you would not believe me. I was wrong. I sorry."

Bronzestar hissed a bit, his sleek tail waving around in the air. "Despicable. Just like a real fox. You should know better than to let yourself fall into the behavior of your ancestors. You should know how to control your instincts better. You've lived among us for moons now!"

Redwhisker lowered his head. It was more trouble to deny these accusations than oppose them. "Yes, Bronzestar. Sorry, Bronzestar."

"Bronzestar, if I may..." Redwhisker raised his head again as he heard Oceanbutterfly's voice speak up from where she was on the deputy rock. Many eyes moved to her, including Redwhisker's.

Bronzestar raised an eyebrow at his deputy. "Yes, Oceanbutterfly?"

"I would like to argue not to punish him this time around," she mewed. "Despite his codebreaking actions, he uncovered a huge WindClan secret in front of us and the other Clans. We would have never known about the warrior squirrel if not for him."

The beige-gold tom bared his fangs. "Just because the situation had a positive outcome doesn't mean it's justified!"

Oceanbutterfly twitched an ear. "But you heard him. It was not on purpose. And I am not saying it is justified, but I am saying that surely our appreciation for what he discovered should at least lessen the punishment we give him?"

"Yeah!" Another voice spoke up, and Redwhisker whirled his head to it to see Whitesilver had stood up, beside her mate Lonelyblue. "We know Redwhisker's never been dangerous a day in his life. It's perfectly reasonable that he just messed up a bit this one time. And it uncovered a scheme that WindClan was keeping from all other Clans! The least you could do is be lenient."

Murmurs began to sound from all around Redwhisker, and he could not decide if he felt scared or uplifted. They seemed to be more or less on his side, but he could not make out much of what was said; each cat drowned out the other. Besides that, what captured most of his attention was not what was said around him, but Bronzestar's face in front of him. For the first time, even though Redwhisker was technically still at the mercy of the leader, he did not see the same knowing, powerful smirk, or the same disappointed frown of a father whose son had repeatedly failed to catch a mouse. He saw real, genuine surprise and shock on the leader's face. And maybe just the smallest pinch of fear.