Chapter 19

Redwhisker stared up at Oceanbutterfly on the WetRock as she assigned Waveclaw, Whitesilver, Gleambeak, Mouseswim, and Wingpaw to a hunting patrol. Each cat perked up happily at their own names, their tails waving around, talking excitedly to one another. Normally five cats on a hunting patrol would be excessive, and normally there would always be at least one member who harbored disappointment at being chosen.  However, with the Gathering only a few days away, the Clan tended to be a bit more on their toes. Redwhisker could see the hunting patrol all flocking to one huddle, even though the meeting had not been dismissed yet.

"Redwhisker-" the fox swiveled his head back forward as he heard his name, "-you will be on the border patrol with Heronlash, Mothpaw, Krillstare, Fallriver, and Timepaw."

Redwhisker dipped his head, and turned to see the patrol had already started to huddle together, just like the hunting party. However, when he tried to move to join the group, a deadly look from Fallriver made him once again rigid in place. Should've expected that...

"The three new apprentices will also get a head start on apprentice duties by cleaning out the elder's den of filthy moss bedding. Gorgepaw, you'll do it with them to show them how."

The brown-flecked gray tortoiseshell she-cat eagerly sat up straighter, happy to have a position of authority. Redwhisker had never been trusted with authoritative work, but he was able to guess that, when an apprentice is assigned an overseer duty, for them it must feel like they are in arm's reach of warriorship. He felt happy for her, and the growth and power she must have felt.

Looking to the three new apprentices, he saw it was a different story; Hollowpaw, Spiderpaw, and Dashpaw, who had been promoted to apprenticeship mere days ago, were grumbling in anger about their embarrassing duties. Their mentors - Ghastlyview, Fallriver, and Gleambeak, respectively - were comforting them and reassuring them that one day the small embarrassing tasks would go away as they ascended in age and esteem.

Meanwhile, Oceanbutterfly atop the rock called out, "Clan dismissed!" and Redwhisker knew it was time to unite with his patrol. Both hunting patrol and border patrol gravitated to the entrance at the same time. And, as was custom, the border patrol was allowed to go first. After all, what good was hunting on a territory that was not yet safely secure?

Redwhisker trotted past the hunting patrol, looking over his shoulder once to see Oceanbutterfly nodding at him with a smile. He grinned sheepishly and nodded back, before leaving with his patrolmates. He couldn't help but feel rejuvenated from that one positive look of hers. Even if he knew the border patrol probably wasn't going to be fun, his mate's eyes could bring a dead flower back to life.

The fox joined his patrolmates, who of course maintained their distance. However, Redwhisker felt strangely confident now. Even as others made sure to keep space away from him, he no longer depended on them to gauge how he was doing, to gauge if he had any worth as a living being. He judged his own behavior, never mind how others felt.

So as they trudged through the swampy forest, he didn't feel any of the old pressure he once felt. Instead of occupying himself with guessing what kinds of steps, what kinds of breaths, what kinds of looks would make his Clanmates hate him the least, he allowed himself the luxury to observe the space around him. A cool greenleaf morning; the yellow-tinted canopy hinted at leaf-fall's beginnings. A nice breeze, naturally damp thanks to their wet environment. Redwhisker could see some frogs far away, lurking around several large puddles of water. I hope the hunting patrol finds that. Looks like it could be some good food.

The forest was very peaceful when he ignored the cats around him, and he began wishing he had done this earlier in life. However, his contentment began to change a bit as he realized they were going in the direction of the ShadowClan border. He knew exactly what would happen there, with the amused ShadowClan cats, the mockery and the negative comradery. And to think I allowed myself to get into a good mood, he thought to himself. He then shook out his neck fur. I can't let them get away with it this time.