4

And so...

In the end, Asano couldn't escape from the clever Karma's grasp.

His hand still felt warm from the unexpected peck. So why was his face red, too?

"Look, Asano-kun." Karma crouched down and pointed at a single red rose among a bundle of white roses. "It's a rose."

"I can see that."

"I hate roses."

Slightly surprised at the sudden change in tone, Asano turned his head to look at Karma, and what he saw made him slightly avert his gaze.

Karma's entire face was twisted to an expression of pure hate; his nose scrunched up, his lips bent down, and his fiery eyes glinting with what seemed to be bloodlust.

"They're disgusting flowers...They're beautiful and gentle at a glance, but once you reach out and pick one, you realize just how harmful they really are."

Roses have thorns, Asano realized.

"They're just like people. Disgusting." Karma stood straight up again. "Well, except you Asano-kun. You show your thorns, instead of hiding them in fake beauty."

"I didn't realize just how poetic you can be."

He shrugged, smirking. "Yep, I'm quite the poet, hm?"

They continued on, Asano no longer walking behind him. He looked around, aimlessly looking at the passing flowers. His hands were starting to turn clammy, but he didn't want to grant the 3-E student the pleasure of winning once again.

"Asano-kun."

"What?"

"Are you enjoying yourself right now?"

"No."

"Heh, so straightforward." Karma stopped in front of Asano, their bodies not too far from each other. He brushed his hand against the other's cheek, his eyes half-lidded. "I'm having so much fun, though..."

"Didn't I tell you not to touch me?" Asano asked, flinching away from his touch. "Of course you're enjoying yourself, you're doing whatever you want."

"Uh huh.." Karma leaned in. "Asano-kun."

"You're too close."

"Can I kiss you?"

"No—Mm."

Karma closed his eyes as the duo shared a pleasurable kiss. Asano stared at Karma's closed eyes, wondering to himself whether he should pull away or not. But then he wondered why he was even hesitating, but by then it was too late.

Karma pulled away, allowing them to breathe.

"I said no."

"But you didn't pull away." Karma said. "You taste even better today, by the way."

"Don't tell me that. You sound perverted." Asano pushed the boy away, but refused to let go of his hand.

"Ohh~! You're not letting my hand go!"

"That's because I refuse to let you win! And I clearly told you to NOT. TOUCH. ME."

"But you seemed to like it."

"I didn't. Now are we done? Or are you going to drag me somewhere else?"

"No. That's it today. I'm tired." Karma said, sighing. "But...we still have this bet going on."

"This is why I do not surround myself with idiots."

"Sure sure~! Come on, let's go to my house."

"No."

"I mean, you can always let go, y'know, and lose?"

Asano grit his teeth. "...FINE."

Karma smiled and patted the strawberry-head. "You're so cute when you're obedient, Asano-kun~!"

"Do not call me—!"

"Come on!"

...

"So you're a rich son." Asano stated, looking at the mansion-like home.

"Y'know, coming from you, that kinda sounds annoying." Karma said, as he led them inside.

The duo hadn't realized it, but their hands have been connected all this time, without fail. The desire to win drove them to never let go.

"Karma-kun? You're home!" An elderly, feminine voice came from across the hall.

At this, Asano felt Karma's hand tense. He sneaked a glance, and smirked. "You don't seem to like your mother very much."

"Yeah, I don't. But she doesn't beat me just because I ranked second in the school."

"Shut it."

Karma's look darkened as they walked inside. "She does worse."

Asano didn't have time to question it, because he was suddenly pushed to the wall. He flinched, and opened his eyes to see a figure of a woman fight with Karma. The redhead was glaring the entire time, dodging and hitting...whatever was attacking him.

When the fight finally seized, the woman was slightly panting.

"You bitch." Karma said, his voice sounding dangerous and venomous. "Don't attack me with a fucking knife. I'm tired, and I have a guest."

"Fufufufu...You disappoint me, Karma-kun." The woman turned to Asano, and the boy's heart almost dropped.

She was almost an exact replica of Karma. Her mischievous orange eyes...her gorgeous red hair...the look of insanity and bloodlust...

"Hell-Hello."

Asano cursed his stuttering voice as Karma threw something onto the ground. It was a knife.

"A new friend? Beside Nagisa-kun. What a surprise. And I was sure you two were holding hands."

Nagisa...the blue-haired student?

"Come here, young boy...lets see what color your blood is...what it tastes like...everything...!"

Before Asano could respond, Karma pulled her back and covered the smaller boy with his bigger build. "Don't touch him."

Asano didn't know what to say, or do. For once, he was speechless.

"Let's go, Asano-kun." They walked up some stairs and came across a wooden door. Karma walked in and made sure to lock it.

"That was your mother?"

"Surprise." Karma replied, throwing his bag without a care in the world. "What do you think of her?"

"Crazy, just like you."

"I'll take that as an insult and ignore it."

"Well. Looks like I have more information about you."

"What of it?"

"More blackmail material, don't you think? First-place Akabane Karma has a mentally-insane, bloodthirsty monster of a mother. It would ruin your image and reputation, don't you think?"

Asano smirked, as Karma stared at him with a blank expression.

"Go ahead. It's not going to change anything."

"...excuse me?"

"I'm still going to be in Class 3-E, I'll still beat anyone who thinks they're better than me, and..." Karma brushed his finger on Asano's cheek. "I'll still find you interesting."

The strawberry-head flicked the finger away. "Tch."

"Oh, look."

"What?"

"Our hands are disconnected."

Sure enough, their hands were nowhere close to holding each other. Asano was relieved; he finally didn't have to touch the scum.

So...why was his heart sinking? Why was he gritting his teeth as he clenched the sweaty hand?

Why did he feel...

Disappointed?