6

Panicking was not an option, and Asano knew it. He called emergency services and rode the ambulance to the hospital with Karma. 

The redhead was taken into the ER, and Asano was asked to wait outside until further notice. 

"Tch...That idiot...why didn't he tell me?"

Asano had not choice but to wait for the doctors. He knew the redhead's family wouldn't come for him; and it didn't feel right to just leave either. 

"What am I doing..." 

He sat down on a nearby chair, releasing a long sigh. Today had been a crazy day, and it wasn't even noon yet. 

. . . 

Asano stood up as the familiar doctor came out, her hands clutching a clipboard. 

"Are you the patient's family, sir?" 

No, he wasn't. He could care less about what happens to Karma. 

"Yes, I'm his brother. Is he okay?"

"The cut on his back didn't cut too deep. He didn't lose too much blood, but we'll check if he needs a transfusion after he wakes up."

"I see. Thank you."

"We'll be moving him to a recovery room now."

A bed came rolling out of the room, and Asano walked beside them, staring down at Karma's pale face. He had bandages all over his body. An IV drip connected to his wrists. His lips were paler than usual. Asano bit his tongue, averting his gaze. 

Once he was safely transferred to a room, Asano sat down, crossing his legs. His arms tensely crossed over his chest as he watched Karma's chest heave up and down. 

He bit his lip, not sure of what to do. Should he call the school? Should he notify the teacher of Class 3-E? What should he do?

"Tch...all this unnecessary thinking is because of you."

. . . 

Asano was reading a book, sipping a cup of coffee. By this time, the gentle beep of the medical machine was engraved into his head. It made sense, considering that he stayed in there for over an hour. 

The redhead twitched slightly. A small, high-pitched whine escaped his lips. 

"Hurts..." He gasped out, and his eyes snapped open. He released a shaky exhale after a few seconds. 

"Karma!" Asano jumped up from his seat as the redhead coughed. Quickly realizing how he reacted, he cleared his throat and sat back down, his face flushed. "I mean...you're awake."

"What..." Karma looked around the room, his eyelids getting lighter and lighter. "Hospital?"

"Are you stupid? You should've told me you were wounded."

The redhead lifted himself up, wincing at his stiff muscles. "Argh..."

Asano glared at the redhead, before releasing a short breath. "Call the nurse if you aren't feeling well; don't expect me to do anything for you."

"Ah, damn..." The wounded boy was still pretty confused, but he got the grasp of the situation. "No wonder my back hurt so bad..."

"Hurt? You were slashed by a knife and it only hurt?" Asano asked, scoffing. "You're a monster."

"Thanks." The redhead bit his lip as he attempted to get off the bed. 

"And just where do you think you're going?"