Chapter 5

Nazeer stayed at the encampment for three days after making the decision to join the Greencloaks. Anda sent a message through a bird which would inevitably take time for it to reach Greenhaven. Nazeer spent the entire first day in the healers hut where he first woke up in when he arrived. He just laid down and twirled his knife on his fingers while occasionally talking with Maki or Anda, whenever he came to check on him. The only time he really went out of the hut was when it was time for food. Apparently Anda had enough of his behavior and told him to go out and hunt with the men saying it would be a new experience.

That new experience led him to falling off his horse, crashing his horse into the other horses, and scaring away every animal they came close to because of how much he struggled with his horse. Multiple times. He didn't even want to think about how much of a failure he was with a bow. One of the hunters who looked a few years older than him constantly gave him tips on everything he did and was patient. Nazeer hated it. He knew he wasn't good like them and screwed up at everything, but having him point it out just made him feel even worse.

The third day was better when Anda came in with the letter from Greenhaven at around noon. 

"They sent the bird while they were sailing." Anda said. "Looks like they'll arrive in an hour. You have everything you need?" he asked. We're going to head to the docks and wait for them, at least you are." he said.

"Yeah I have everything. How exactly are we going to get there?" Nazeer asked. 

"Well if we walked then it would take about an hour. Maybe less. And I can't exactly go with you." Nazeer panicked internally, not because he wanted Anda to come, but because he did not want to get on another horse after his failure. "And I heard about your incredible encounter with horses. So, you'll be riding Tellun," Anda lifted his sleeve and summoned Tellun from passive state while Nazeer still registered what Anda had said. 

"Wait what?" Nazeer asked. He wasn't sure he heard him right. "I'm riding Tellun?" For some reason he found that more unsettling then riding a horse. "Are you sure that's all right? I mean he's... the.... leader of the Great Beasts. Not a pony." Anda laughed. 

"Please it's not that big of a deal. I do it all the time and he doesn't mind it. Besides I highly doubt you want to get on a horse. Now up you go" he said picking up Nazeer and putting him on Tellun's back. "Tellun please behave and just take him to the docks." Anda turned to face Nazeer. "Just hold on to his neck, and please don't choke him." Great now the mental image of him choking Tellun, the leader of the Great Beasts was ingrained in his mind. With the way his luck was right now he would probably panic and kill him.

Tellun bounded away carrying Nazeer. He tried to hold his neck gently but it either felt like he was holding to tight and choking him, or he wasn't holding tight enough and he would fall off. They got to the docks and saw a burly Euran man with a beard and had a greencloak on. He was standing in front of an enormous wooden ship with green sails. 

"You're Nazeer right? The kid we're picking up?" he asked. 

"Yes. I'm Nazeer." The man smirked and turned around, waking back up the ship and beckoned Nazeer to get onboard. Nazeer turned around to see where Tellun was, but he was already gone.

"Guess he didn't want to stick around" he mumbled.

"Get on kid. We're going to set sail now." he said. Nazeer reluctantly followed him onto the boat and they set sail. He took him below deck and gave him a bed to put his stuff on since the journey would be a few days. 

"So Nazeer, you will be swabbing the deck. Got that?" he said.

"Wait what? I have to swab the deck? Why?"

"Manning a boat is a team effort." he explained. "Everyone has to pitch in and help. We can't have someone just laying around doing nothing." Nazeer was about to protest, but the last thing he wanted to happen was to annoy them and have them send him back. So he decided to do it. What he didn't expect was how hard it would be with the boat was constantly tilting and shifting. To him it felt like he was swimming again.

He tried swimming once in lake near their home in Nilo when he was four. He hated it. There was nothing to grab onto and he was completely surrounded by water. Not to mention the fact that he had to hold his breath also. The motions and everything he had to do felt so unnatural. He always preferred that he be on solid ground where the only thing that changed was his mood.

Being on a ship was no different for him than swimming. Even though the ship may have had a solid floor, but it was constantly tilting and swaying because of the tides causing him to lose his footing or stumble. With him swabbing the deck and making it wet, he was just making it even easier for him to fall. This continued for two days. Greencloaks aboard the ship constantly laughed and smirked at his failure to stand on a ship. He hated it and he wanted to kill someone, preferably Kyle for making him do this. even though he told the other greencloaks to cut it out. Then on the second day around noon, he heard the call.

"Land ahead! We've arrived at Greenhaven!" the watchman shouted. Nazeer looked up from where he was sawbbing. For the two days he was on the ship, whenever he looked out, all he could see was the ocean. Just clear blue water everywhere as far as the eye could see, like the grass that stretched everywherre on the savannah back at home. As they neared he could start to see the outline of a castle. It slowly came into view, a giant stone castle with green flags, people bustling everywhere. He couldn't believe it, he was finally here, the place he had always dreamed about. He had arrived at Greenhaven.