Chapter 2

Nazeer dreamed he was back at his home in Nilo. He knew he was dreaming but everything seemed so real. He looked in the living room and his heart stopped. His dad was there sitting on the chair with 5 year old Nazeer curled in his lap. He recognized everything, the way his dad held him, the tones he would speak in when telling stories and how he would change them, the way his dad smiled, everything. He tried moving, he wanted to move so badly and sit next to his dad, but his legs refused to move.

 That was when the door behind him burst into flames. They were eating away at everything and they would've gotten Nazeer first, but instead the flames just went around and ignored him like he wasn't worth it and kept going. It was reaching his dad at an alarming rate. He tried to say something, anything, to warn his dad but his voice was stuck in his throat. Nazeer watched as his dad went up in flames.

"You could've saved him." said an echoey voice right next to him. Nazeer jumped and turned around and saw himself, but he was on fire. His skin was peeling off and the bones and flesh were starting to show, Nazeer wanted to vomit just by looking at him. "You could've saved him. Why didn't you? Even now as you're watching him burn you aren't doing anything, you're just watching" his dream self said.

"He told me to run away" Nazeer said weakly his voice barely coming out. As soon as the words came out of his mouth he knew how stupid it sounded. Yes his dad told him to run and not look back, but if he was being honest, the same exact thoughts coursed through his own mind everyday. Ever since he saw his dad die he kept wondering if there was anything he could've done to help no matter how small or dumb it was.

"It doesn't matter now does it. He's already dead now. Same thing can most likely be said about your mom and brother. Now you can watch us die over and over again." His dream self grabbed him by the neck, "and then, it will be your turn." The flames consumed his dream self and started slowly spreading out towards him. Burning him slowly with agonizing pain as Nazeer stood there screaming knowing he was going to die