The Long Walk Home

~~~ Maggie~~~

I'm putting James in danger by just being here. "I'm sorry. I need you to drop me off at a random place for me to take a different way home. You don't need to be involved in this. I just needed to get them home safe first."

James sighed. "I'm not letting you out to try to find your way home when there were at least 9 guys looking for you at the dance." We continued to drive around Manhattan.

"I only saw seven." She said quietly.

James's phone rang and he answered it on the speaker. "Sam you're coming through on the car." I snickered to myself. There is always that one friend you have to warn before the conversation starts.

"Where are you."

"I have Maggie. We're driving through the city." I looked at the window to see the Broadway lights shining. "Her friends are home."

"Maggie, do you know why they're after you." I heard Sam through the radio.

"Who are you two?" I asked.

"Bucky you didn't tell her?"

"It didn't come up."

"How did it not come up? Were you too busy driving around? Listening to the radio? Talking about books?" You could hear the smirk in Sam's voice while he tried to be angry at us.

"We were dancing. We were talking. You know how it goes." I chuckled.

"And you, didn't your momma ever teach you not to get in cars with strangers?"

"I tried to order an Uber and that's the same thing."

Sam scolded and swore in the same breath. "Are you familiar with the Avengers?"

"Yes," I said, looking over at James.

"You're riding with the Bucky Barnes and I'm the Falcon. There are about six agencies that are after you and we want to know why."

"James stop the car." He pulled over when I asked.

"Don't you dare stop that car Bucky! You keep driving until we fig..." James cut the connection.

"You're Steve and Peggy's granddaughter." He said calmly. I squeezed my fits together and nodded. Sam was calling back and Bucky just hit the ignore button. Three times.

"They want me because I was born like Grandpa. Not as strong as him, but stronger than normal people. They want to do more experiments on me. They want my blood." They sound like vampires.

James looked around where we were stopped. "Where would you feel safer? Three options. I can take you to a safe house. I can take you back to my place. Or would you feel safer at your place, with your grandfather downstairs? All options include Sam on the roof and me on the couch." He rattled off options. "You're not staying alone tonight."

Images flashed in my mind of the girls being hurt if I stayed there. A flash of blood. I can't see the people hurting them. Grandpa getting hurt and taken in the process. I couldn't go there. "Can you just drive a little longer and we can figure it out?" I didn't want to put grandpa in danger, but is it safe to go with James? He nodded and pulled back out into traffic. We drove in silence past the Natural History Museum and through the park. "Back in the 70s, they used to roller skate around the back hallways of the Natural History Museum. The idea of scientists and historians trying to get to different places on rollers skates always made me laugh. Just skating down long hallways with trays of artifacts dodging other important people and things." I rambled painting a picture of a story I was told by a friend who interned there.