We Played Frisby

~~~Maggie~~~

The doors opened to the sound of bullets and crashes. Captain America was fighting with his wings, shield, and hand to hand. It took me a moment to realize it wasn't grandpa. "Get out of here Maggie!" James handed me one of his extra clips (one of the ones I gave him.)

"Don't be stupid," I said ducking low and heading into the lobby. I ducked behind the marble front desk to find two receptionists crying and trying to stay hidden. "Shit."

"Don't shoot me." One of them cried, clenching a framed picture.

"I'm not going to shoot you," I said ducking down with them. "How far is it from here to the door?"

"Not far. 30 or 40 feet." She said crying.

"Are either of you hurt?" They shook their heads. I looked around and saw they were both wearing high heels but there were sneakers under the deck. I passed them the sneakers. "Put these on. When I tell you, you're going to make a break for it." I stuck my head up and saw that some of the windows had shattered from all the bullets. About 15 feet from the desk is a big glass window. I shot the window causing it to shatter. The receptionists started crying harder "LOOK at me!" The girls focused on me. "You're going to stay low and run as fast as you can out that window. Turn left away from the front door. Don't stop running until you're behind something sturdy and stay hidden until the police show up."

I popped my head up to see James and Captain America fighting security. There were about 12 guys between the two of them. I took up a position where I could cover them and try to keep them safe."GO. Now's your chance." The girls started running hand in hand and staying low. Two of the security guards noticed and started to disengage from Captain America and turned to follow the girls.

Pulling the trigger is terrifying every time you do it. I aimed low and shot their legs causing them to fall. I could hear the cursing and cry but I wasn't expecting one of them to start getting back up. I fired two more times until the girls were out the window but he wasn't staying down.

"Captain, Shield!" I screamed out to Captain America. He bounced the shield off of the man's back, he fell and the shield headed towards James who caught it and returned it by bouncing it off two other agents.

"Maggie, get out of here!" Captain America screamed at me. If I'm not going to listen to the OG Cap, what makes you think I'm going to listen to Captain 2.0? I made my way to the other desk in front to check if anyone was hiding. No one. This new angle allowed me to help James and Captain America. I watched as Captain America took two kicks to the stomach, one straight on and the other from the side. These two goons got a lucky shot.

Grandpa's shield went flying towards me and clattered to the floor in front of me. If I could make the angle, I could get the shield to bounce off four of the guys. Grandpa once said he could leapfrog up to 7 men. I picked it up and spun around letting it go. Instead of hitting the guy next to James, it flew right towards his head. "JAMES, DUCK!" I screamed. He looked straight to me, saw the shield, and ducked. It hit one of the men standing over the new Captain. From there it bounced heading back over to James towards one of his guys. By the time it came back to me, it knocked down four men. I caught it sliding onto my right arm.

"What the hell? Is every super soldier more comfortable with my shield than I am?" Captain America said fully regaining control of his situation. The last men fell and Bucky started handcuffing the men.

I handed the shield back to Sam. "Some kids play football, we played Frisby."

"Let's get you and Bucky out of here. Shields about to descend, we just needed you out." Sam then reached up to his right ear and pressed in "Targets are on their way out of the building now. Three exciting front doors." Sam ushered us out the door and towards a waiting jet.

Bucky wrapped his arm around me as he pulled me to the jet. Upon sitting down in one of the seats I pulled out my guns and pulled the clips out. I needed something to do with my hands so I started pulling one bullet out of the first clip and loading it into the second clip. My hands started shaking and I needed to calm down.

James' voice muffled above my head as I started counting bullets as I switched them to the empty clip. "Maggie?" James pulled my attention. "Did you hear me?" I just shook my head. The adrenaline of the moment was wearing off and it was getting harder to focus and stay calm.

James sat down gingerly in the seat across from me. "Are you physically OK?" he asked. I think he knew my mental state was somewhere between trashed and shaken.

I took account of how I was feeling. My limbs were working again. Everythings attached. I feel oddly hydrated so yeah, "I guess I'm OK." He reached across the small table and put his hand on mine, stopping me from switching bullets around. Stopping my hands from shaking.

"You did really good. I saw you get the secretaries out." He said looking down. It looked like he was trying to say so much but didn't know where to start and didn't know how to begin. I slowly moved one of my hands to be able to squeeze his. "I'm not the Winter Soldier anymore. I played around trying to get to you before they did anything."

"I know." It came out softer and sadder than I wanted.

"I'm sorry." He got up and started to walk to the front of the plane.

"James. I don't like flying. Can you sit with me during take-off?" He smiled and sat back down. He looked down at the guns, stacking the clips and guns together and put them on one of the other chairs. We sat there in comfortable silence. He saved me this time.