Part One - Arguments

Throbbing was the only word to describe the pain in Andie's feet as she huffed and climbed the stairs to her apartment

Throbbing was the only word to describe the pain in Andie's feet as she huffed and climbed the stairs to her apartment. Her bag was slung over her shoulder lazily and the hair that was once in a bun had escaped and hung around her face. She loved wearing heels to work, but god did they come with a price to her poor feet.

As she approached her front door and got ready to put her keys into the hole, she heard the yelling and laughter of her boyfriend inside. So, she wasn't surprised when she opened the door and saw him playing video games on the couch. She took a moment to take in what she saw;  a pizza box soaking grease into her coffee table, beer bottles scattered and the lingering smell of them hitting her as soon the door opened. He was hunched over his controller, too transfixed to the game to realise she had opened the door, it was the same sight she had come home to every other day of the week and it was Thursday, he had done nothing all week.

Andie slumped her shoulders and flicked off her heels carelessly by the front door before collecting the empty beer bottles from around him.

"Oh, hey babe." He addressed her, not withdrawing his gaze from his priority though.

"Yeh. Hey." She replied bluntly, tidying up after him.

"How was work?" He asked and she could tell it was more of a nicety, he wouldn't actually listen to her reply.

"Stressful, I've been in contact with the Stark Relief Foundation all day since they went to Russia last week." She threw away the bottles and grabbed a slice of the cold pizza.

"You're kidding me!" Harry yelled at the screen, throwing his hands into the hair in frustration at his game, as uninterested in his girlfriend as she had expect. He turned his attention to her as she leaned against the kitchen counter eating, he looked her up and down.

"What?" She asked, chewing.

He exhaled, "You wore that to work?"

She furrowed her brow and looked down to what she was wearing, granted it looked a lot neater at the beginning of the day when she put it on, but she didn't think she looked bad, only slightly dishevelled, "What do you mean?"

Harry pinched his brow as he looked for the words to choose.

"Harry, there's nothing wrong with what I'm wearing, It's a skirt and a blouse?" She questioned him.

"It's see through Andie!" He raised his voice slightly, making her jump slightly and she turned around and washed her hands of the grease.

Andie rolled her eyes, "What are you talking about Harry, I'm wearing a vest under it, you can't even see anything." Her tone was unbothered and nonchalant.

"Jesus Christ, Andie. You look ridiculous, I don't want you dressing like that." Harry muttered.

She dried her hands on a towel and turned to him, "Like what, Harry?"

He hesitated before replying, "Like a whore." 

The air was silent at what he said and she just stared blankly at him. What he said wasn't shocking to her, she knew it was what people at work were thinking, but it felt different coming from her boyfriend. Harry watched her, waiting for a reaction or for her to say something, anything, to show what she made of what he called her.

"I'd rather be a whore than a low-life bum who lives off his girlfriend." She mumbled, but instantly regretted what she said, it was clear the toll of the stressful day had worn her patience to non-existent.

"Really?" He scoffed, "That's not fair, you know I'm looking for a job."

Andie raised her arms around expressively, "When Harry? Was it at 3am when you're playing video games and keeping me awake or at 10am when you're having pizza for breakfast? I've found you countless decent jobs, but you show zero interest or ambition!" She yelled. Ambition and drive was one of the most attractive things for her, she loved when a man had a focus and a need for something. Men had always tried to walk all over her mother in her career in STEM, so she made sure Andie wasn't going to put up with it either.

Harry went quiet, "You're being ridiculous Andie." 

"No, I'm being honest, Harry. I'm sorry I have to be harsh about it, but you can't just freeload around here all day." Her heart felt a pang of guilt as her boyfriend wallowed in his own pity.

"I'm sorry, Andie" 

She sighed and padded her way over to the couch and sat next to him, resting her head on his shoulder and rubbing his back comfortingly,

"I'm sorry too, I'm just stressed from work. I think I'm just going to head straight to bed."

"Alright, sweetheart." He pecked the top of her head, "Sleep well."

She was unsatisfied with their argument, it didn't feel like anything was solved and after getting ready for bed, she lay there mulling it over. It wasn't fair for him to call her that, especially after she had already complained about the other women in the office criticising her for it. She gnawed on her lip, hugging her pillow as she thought about it and was pulled out of that state by the sound of Harry yelling at his video game again, talking to his friend through the headset.

Typical.

Is it too much to ask for to have dinner cooked for her for one night when she comes home and to spend time together then be able to go to bed at the same time so they could enjoy each others presence?