Ch 4: Everyone Had Something Under Their Sleeves

The Sports Center entrance was advertising try-outs for new players in the soccer club of the Roaring Rexes Team. Broderick, Sol, and the Team Captain, a human named Spicer Morales were busy with a line of new, interested students signing up for a good game of soccer to compete with Rexville's rivals, especially The Conquistadors of Southwest University in San Diego. Football or soccer, while both were in the tiebreakers for students on what sport they were interested to play in and choose from was up to them to decide and they could try both before deciding.

Solomon, rumored to be the future captain of the team after Spicer retires after graduation, finished with the previous intrigued student, suddenly shook his head to who came next after; the no longer often mistaken Brazilian parrot from a grand carnival party in Rio.

"Xavier?"

"Hey, Soliado, qué pasó?"

Broderick the reindeer did the same. "Xavier, you wanna play? What gives?"

"Uh... Sergio convinced me to leave out of the dorm and, huh, wanted me to do something outdoors."

"Why he would do that?"

"He sorta has a point and I took it for granted, so I decided that I should try to join the soccer team with you guys."

"Oh, that is so great, Xavier!" Broderick said.

Sol kept on going to question him. "Anything else why?"

"Well, the truth is that I haven't gotten the opportunity to play this sport since high school, and, uh, I was a bit underestimated and other players surpassed over me and, uh, you know the whole revolution thing in my country." A lot had happened in Xavier's family in the past and Xavier held his personal's issues as open secrets to share.

While his excusable motive was true, Xavier had more motives than it meets the eye. Xavier might have a dorm to share with Sergio, but he lived up north of Rexville where a small Hispanic community in the suburbs was located. His parents sometimes came by and visited him or Xavier visited them sometimes on the weekends by taking the streetcar. Tired of doing that routine, maybe doing something busy and excusable might work. Sorry, mom and dad...

"You could have joined last year, but I guess this is your way of handling college," Sol said.

"Hey, it was Sergio who convinced me. I've been a fan of soccer since I was eleven and I didn't get the opportunity to be part of it." Xavier stated.

"Fine. Sign here." Sol handed him the clipboard with names signed on. "Think you can impress Spicer here?"

Xavier glanced at Spicer, talking with another intrigued student signing up. Looked back at Sol and said, "If Scarlets and Blue-yellow Macaws can play, I think a Puerto Rican Amazon can play." He leaned down and signed up his name.

"Good luck," Sol said with hints of doubt-ness.

"Don't worry, Soliado, I have a secret weapon." While he lacked facial expressions on his ivory white beak, his eyes hinted deep confidence, but he was just excited. "Nos vemos luego." See you then, and Xavier left from the sign-up table.

Sol did not care whatever he had on his sleeves, but he wanted to play soccer with them. After the busy lines ended and folded up the portable tables. Their unexpected encounter with Xavier really got them in their heads, especially Sol.

"I've never thought Xavier was a fan of soccer," Sol muttered.

Broderick said, "Xavier has talked a lot about it around with me."

"Then, how come I didn't get some of that conversation?"

"Oh, yeah, remembered when you met him?"

"What? Oh...right." Sol remembered.