Chapter 5 - Eyes

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you freeze up?" Usagiyama questions, when school's over and everyone starts heading home.

Keigo raises an eyebrow. "I thought it was no sweat?" He asks.

Usagiyama nods. "It is, but I want to know so that I can help you to overcome it, yeah?"

"I guess that makes sense." Keigo mumbles, slinging his bag over his shoulder, being careful of his wings.

Usagiyama grins. "Of course it does! So, why did you freeze up?"

Keigo flushes slightly as he remembers why. It was Todoroki's eyes, the passion he could see in them. The want in them that was screaming 'I need to win!' in Keigo's face. It was so mesmerizing, Keigo was trapped.

"Yo, Takami? You there?" Usagiyama asks, waving a hand in front of his face. "Earth to Takami!"

Keigo shakes his head and snaps out of his daydream. "Uh, what were we talking about again?" He asks, embarrassed.

"We were talking about why you froze up." Usagiyama reminds him, heading to the door. She motions for Keigo to walk with her as they pass through the hallways of U.A, and they walk out the exit doors and unto the paved trail.

"Uh yeah. I guess I just did?" Keigo answers nervously, laughing awkwardly.

Usagiyama raises an eyebrow. "Do you think I'm stupid or somethin'?" She deadpanned.

Keigo sighed and looked away, blushing faintly. "I don't think that, Rumi-san. It's just... his eyes. You should see them." He started to gush. "They're such a beautiful shade of blue, you should see them when they shine against the light! Sometimes when he's mad they become dull though, but when he's excited or pumped up, they look so bright!"

Usagiyama gives him a disbelieving look. "Look Takami, I've seen the dude's eyes. They look normal to me."

"You're telling me you don't see it? The gleam?" Keigo wonders, glancing at Usagiyama's eyes. Unlike Todoroki, he doesn't see any of the near blinding light in them.

Just like a normal eye.

"You sure you don't have some secret quirk or something? I mean, it's possible for people to have multiple quirks if their parents' quirks combined in their bodies. Say, do you have a parent with an eye - reading quirk?" Usagiyama muses, placing a hand on her chin, giving Keigo a questioning look.

"Or, Todoroki could be the one to have some kind of combined quirk." Keigo retorts, folding his arms defensively.

"You know what, let's just ask the guy now! I can see him waiting by the gates!" Usagiyama exclaims, grabbing Keigo's arm and running up to where they can see Todoroki standing in the distance. His body is too frozen at the sudden movement to fight back, but once he reaches their destination, he awkwardly looks at Todoroki as the other male jumps from shock.

"What the heck Usagiyama! You could have given me a heart attack!" Todoroki chastises, placing a hand on his heart.

"A hero should always expect the unexpected." Usagiyama advises, "Even in the most unexpected of expected places."

Todoroki gives her a deadpan look. "Uh huh. What exactly do you want? I need to get home soon."

"You see, Takami here thinks that your eyes shine or light up or whatever, whenever you're excited or happy and stuff. He says that's why he froze." Usagiyama explains, gesturing to Todoroki's face.

"Usagiyama!" Keigo whisper shouts. "You can't just say that!"

"Why not?"

"Because!"

"Because...?"

"Just forget it." Keigo sighed.

"If you two want to gossip between yourselves I'd be happy to leave now." Todoroki raised an eyebrow in annoyance.

"Sorry." Usagiyama apologizes nonchalantly. "Anyways, do you have some of secret eye shining quirk?" She asks him.

Silence ensues for about 3 seconds.

"That's the dumbest question I've ever heard in my life." Todoroki deadpans.

"Just answer me!" Usagiyama whines.

"Can I go home now?" Todoroki sighs.

"Let me see your eyes first!" Usagiyama says adamantly, grabbing Todoroki's cheeks and pulling his face close to hers. For some unknown reason, the action made Keigo feel queasy, like that one time when he ate that moldy chicken that his mom specifically told him not to eat.

Okay, no need for those gross thoughts Keigo, you're making the feelings worse.

"I don't see anything." Usagiyama huffs, bringing Todoroki's face over to Keigo's. "Do you see anything?"

"Let go of me!" Todoroki protests, squirming in her grip, but Usagiyama acts like it's nothing and chooses to ignore him. Wanting to spare Todoroki from the clutches of the girl, Keigo searches his eyes. He can see it now, the annoyance flaring in them. They're bright too, but not nearly as bright as they had been during their battle.

"Not really." Keigo lies. "I guess what I was seeing was just the sun's rays reflecting on his iris."

Usagiyama sighed, feeling a bit sad. "Man, having a secret quirk would have been so cool though!" She decides to let go of Todoroki, and the boy levels them with a glare.

"Don't put your dirty hands on me ever again." He snarls at Usagiyama, before walking away.

"What's his problem?" Usagiyama asks naively.

"I think his problem is that you went too far." Keigo points out. "Well, I'm going to head home. See you tomorrow?"

"See ya!" Usagiyama calls after him.