CHAPTER TWENTY SIX- UNPLEASANT SURPRISES +

ANGEL DECKER

Everything was spinning. I couldn't bring myself to focus. I was crying so hard that I was simply unable to do anything else. Part of me wanted to beg Zhayne not to do this to me, to tell him that this was going too far...Marriage? Being married to Zhayne? My heart clenched in despair at the mere thought of having his last name.

I couldn't do this. This was way too much for me. I can't handle it. What would I say to my mother if she sees this ring on my finger? She will already have so many questions, but this? This was absolutely crazy. I always say that I never know what to expect from Zhayne, as he is a man full of unpleasant surprises. But this was the last thing I ever thought I would hear slip from his mouth.

I kept shutting my eyes closed as I sobbed, hoping this was some sort of dream that was just too realistic for me to be able to tell that it was fake. But I was left disappointed as my sight was welcomed with the horrid scene playing out before me every single time. This was real.

I clutched the box in my hand as my body violently shook with each hiccup I released. Now that I knew what was inside, I would have been much happier if it were someone's eyeball instead. Anything was better than a ring. That was the worst thing Zhayne could ever give me.

I sniffled continuously as I kept my blurred gaze pointed toward the tile floor. My tears seemed to form a small puddle gathering beneath my feet. "Zhayne-" I was so shaken up I couldn't find the right words to say in this moment. "I-I dont think you t-thought through this. Y-you can't just rush into marriage." I knew by the way he remained unfazed by my words that me trying to convince him to take it back would simply be like beating a dead horse. His word was final and I knew it. I knew it. Zhayne never went back on his decisions.

"I've had this ring for longer than you think." He revealed to me, making my stomach drop. "This is something I have wanted for a while now, Angel." He crosses his arms in front of his chest as he stared down at me blankly. "I was being patient with you and I held back. If it were up to me you would have had my last name a long time ago."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "B-but Zhayne you c-"

"I can and I will. I told you I'm done fucking waiting. You are testing my patience right now, love." He leaned his head back against the wall, gazing up at the ceiling. Zhayne's eyes trailed over the lights hanging above us as if he were counting them. "I want an answer. I'm giving you the option to choose." My breathing became uneven. He won't let this go.

"Zhayne. P-please I need time to think about this."

He drew in a deep breath. The simple yet frightening action caused me to shut my mouth. That familiar awful gut feeling settled in my stomach as I sensed the tension in the atmosphere thickening, meaning Zhayne's mood was slowly beginning to spoil. I held the trembling box tightly in my fingers as Zhayne lowered his eyes to meet mine again, but said nothing. "I don't think I-I'm ready for something like marriage. I-I'm only 19 years old I can't just-"

"Your age has nothing to do with this. Stop beating around the fucking bush. You know that shit pisses me off." Fuck. I wanted to scream. He wasn't listening. He never does. Why was I being so stupid? It was dumb of me to think he would hear me out about this.

"I-I'm not- I just- Zhayne- think about it." I said to him breathlessly. "M-marriage? R-right now? I'm still way too y-young- there's so much I have-" I trailed off, rattling my brain for the right words to say without trying to get myself killed. In the back of my mind I knew I was rambling for the right excuse but I couldn't find a decent one that would get through his head. Deep down I was aware nothing would. But that foolish part of me just keeps trying despite my futile attempts.