Chapter 6 - Enemy's Plan

She started running back to the lab, meeting Steve and Tony halfway. "What the hell happened?" she asked, changing directions to follow them.

"Not really sure. Here," Tony tossed her an earpiece and she put it on in time to hear Fury's voice come through.

"Hill!"

"External detonation. Number three engine is down. Can they get it running?" she talked to agents near her. "Talk to me."

"Turbine looks mostly intact, but it's impossible to get out there to make repairs while we're in the air."

"If we lose one more engine, we won't be. Somebody's got to get outside and patch that engine."

"Stark, you copy that?"

"I'm on it," he told Fury.

"Coulson, initiate defensive lockdown in the detention section then get to the armory. Romanoff?"

"We're okay." The line went quiet as Tony, Steve, and Annabelle ran through the halls.

"Engine three. I'll meet you there," Tony said as he went another way to grab his suit.

"What do I do?" Annabelle asked, quickly being answered by Fury.

"Annabelle, I need you to meet me on the bridge to discuss what you found out."

"No offense, but I don't think this is the right time-"

"Just do it!" Annabelle looked at Steve who shrugged.

"On my way." She turned off her earpiece. "Get that engine started and try not to fight too much with Tony while you do it. The scepter only enhanced everyone's feelings, so just pretend you like the guy long enough to make sure we all don't die."

"Since when are you in charge?"

"Since I'm the only one making sure that we don't kill each other before Loki does! Go!" She met Fury on the bridge as he tried to regain control.

"Bring the carrier about to a one eight zero heading south! Take us to the water!" he instructed.

"We're flying blind. Navigation's recalibrating after the engine's failure," an agent informed him.

"Is the sun coming up?"

"Yes, sir."

"Put it on your left, you'll go in the right direction," Annabelle told him and Fury glanced at her. "Sorry."

"Get us over water. One more turbine goes down and we drop," he said before turning to her. "You struggle with the chain of command, don't you?"

"Only when I know I can help."

"What did you find out?"

"A little of everything, but I think he knows I know."

"Did you find out his plan?"

"Yes," she answered before adding, "I think."

"Stop thinking and give me answers."

"He hoped the explosion would get Bruce to turn into the Hulk." They heard Hulk roar. "Which obviously worked. He's trying to make a distraction for something. I didn't get that part, but I'm guessing it's his escape."

"What about after his escape?"

"Grenade!" Hill called and they flew back from the force of the explosion. She flipped over the railing and Fury pulled out his gun, he and Annabelle going to the sides of the door, hiding as men dressed in SHIELD uniforms walked in. Annabelle launched herself at one, making sure to get the gun out of his grasp as soon as possible by twisting his arm around his back before lodging her elbow into his, causing him to drop it before she pushed his head into the railing hard enough to knock him out. She ducked a punch of another, kneeing him in the groin before sending her left hand into his face, causing his nose to start bleeding before kicking him backwards, grabbing the handgun of the unconscious soldier and shooting the other one. She ducked as she heard a gun go off, looking to see Hill holding the gun, a dead soldier in the doorway, and Fury standing over another two. A gunfight ensued as many of the SHIELD technicians ran for cover as Hill, Fury, and Annabelle shot off the advancing soldiers.