Chapter 13 - Goodbyes Aren't Forever

They watched as Thor had Loki in cuffs, something over his mouth to prevent him from speaking. Bruce placed the Tesseract into a cylindrical container that Selvig held, Annabelle and Steve standing to the side as they watched. Thor put his hand on Selvig's shoulder, giving him a small smile as Clint glared at Loki before smirking as Natasha whispered something in his ear. Thor took the Tesseract cylinder, holding one end and Loki holding the other. Thor nodded at them and Loki stared at Annabelle before they disappeared in a blue light. They started to go their separate ways, saying their goodbyes.

"Thank you," Annabelle told Bruce as Steve shook Tony's hand.

"You did it all on your own, just needed a bit of guidance."

"Good thing I had a great teacher." He smiled and she shook his hand before doing the same with Tony. Clint nodded at her and she nodded back, sharing a smile with Natasha before hopping on the back of Steve's motorcycle, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"Why'd you look at him like that?" Steve asked. "Loki?"

"I don't know. It's not sympathy or empathy... Maybe pity?"

"You pity him?" he glanced over his shoulder. "The guy who destroyed New York?"

"No," she thought about it. "I pity the fact that he felt had to. The circumstances that led him to. I didn't see everything in his head, but I saw a lot. This world isn't as black and white as it was before." She paused before nodding. "Pity's the word I'm looking for." He just nodded, starting the engine and driving off, the others doing the same, everyone going in different directions. They may not have said it, but they all knew that their goodbyes that day wouldn't be forever.

Thank you all for sticking with this story! I am so glad to have it up and thank you for all the feedback throughout! It makes me so excited to see you all engaging with it! Stay tuned for news on the next book in Annabelle's story, a Thor spin off, and the post credit scene!