four

The news on the radio said that the military had occupied another district. Civilians had been shot, and so-called-revolutionaries arrested. Rumors were that it would not be long before they reached Yeongnam as well.

"Don't worry, the peace talk will come through soon," Jungkook told her as they sat amidst the wild daisies, the sun setting low behind the hills in the horizon.

Chae Young said nothing. She thought of their home in Yeongnam and everyone she knew- her teachers, her neighbors and her friends, especially Ji Rin. How strange to think of them like this, she thought.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Jungkook's warm hands reaching for hers on her lap. His hand stayed there, and they felt so comforting that Chae Young wanted to be engulfed entirely in the circle of it.

She looked up at him and smiled, glad for his presence. She tried to sound brave every time her father called but she had not realized how scared she actually was, and how thankful she was for Jungkook's comforting words. Jungkook smiled back, and that was when she noticed the mole beneath his lower lip.

"Omona," she exclaimed softly, "I have one too. Right here in the same spot."

She reached up and touched it with a finger. She looked up into his eyes with her finger still unmoved. She wanted to kiss him again, wanted to feel the rush from his touch. She moved the finger to his lower lip causing him to part his lips. His warm breath fell on her finger, and slowly, she inched the finger in, colliding with his teeth. Playfully, he bit it and she giggled. Taking her hand, he kissed it. When he leaned in, she closed her eyes. This time, Chae Young did not consciously maneuver her lips. They kissed with a familiarity that surprised her, made her want more. The familiar rush engulfed her as he pulled her closer. When Jungkook slid his tongue in, Chae Young was not ready; it felt strange and unfamiliar in her mouth. She gasped and pulled away, but the shock disappeared when she met his scared, wide eyes. Instead, it made her immediately sorry. Suddenly, she wanted to reassure him. Smiling to ease his worries, and feeling ridiculously brave, she climbed onto his lap which made him widen his eyes, this time, in surprise. She took his face in both hands to kiss him, and slid her tongue in. Her heart raced as he sucked on it, like he was drowning her soul in him. His hands ran up and down her arms and up and down her back. She did not stop him when they moved towards her front. His hands inched slowly upward as though asking her to stop them where she wanted him to stop, but she did not. She let him engulf her breast in his hand and squeeze them like the air out of her lungs. When they broke apart, cold air hit them. The sky was turning a deep, flaming orange but all Chae Young could see was the look of hunger in his eyes that excited and scared her all the same. He pushed her hair away from her shoulders and sank his mouth onto the base of her throat. She could feel her body trembling so much that she sank her nails into his back to stop it. She was afraid it would stop him. She heard herself whimper and instinctively pushed her hand into his hair, grabbing at his locks.

He could feel the pulse of her beating heart against his trailing tongue and was painfully aware of the urgency in his lap. Breaking contact with her skin, he returned to her lips, biting her lower lip and loving the way her nails sank into his arms. His hands were sliding underneath the hem of her t-shirt but still, she did not stop him. He felt her tremble when his hand made contact with her skin underneath the t-shirt. A long, drawn-out sigh escaped her lips against his as he slowly trailed his way up her back. However, when he touched her bra, she suddenly pushed him away. Quickly, she rolled off his lap.

"Are you mad?" he asked, slightly confused.

"No," her voice was slightly breathless. "Of course, not."