|16. THE RARER, THE WORTHIER|

Taekook together;

Taekook happier 🥺

.
.
.

Growing up, Jeon Jungkook realised he had never wanted to ask much. Schooled within the walls of his chambers and trained within the walls of the palace, he had learnt how to settle for what was given. After all, he was merely a prophecy to happen and legacy to mark.

At 10, a mirror envisioned his fate, and the first he learnt was to hate himself, not love. His father apologized and his birth felt like a fault. Hoseok hesitated and prophecy felt like a curse. Things changed inside and out, and he settled for little. To make little memories. For little grief when things go down.

But on all the nights he sat and cried, he just wanted someone with no pity or fear in their eyes when he'd confess his truth.

A protector for the protector to protect him from all that he loathed. Even if it included himself.

On the other nights, tired and exhausted from hours of mental and physical training, he just wanted a lap, of someone who wouldn't apologize or hesitate to gather his weary body and whisper a sweet lullaby.

But again, he wasn't strong enough to see that someone be ended by a fate that was his after all. And so he learnt how to live without asking much, because choice wasn't a choice to the chosen, no matter how much he begged or how far he loathed.

And all this while, he trained himself to make the most of all the little he asked, teaching his heart every day to stay on guard.

But one day his father summons him to his chamber, warns of an uprising between clans, surprisingly allows him to leave the palace for once and gets him to meet the valiant omega king of kaatru Kim Taehyung- he suddenly wants to ask so much more. Ask for another civil talk, another taste of the king's lips, another day of getting drunk on makgeoli with him, another glance at his messed up hair, another chance to make him smile, another moment to capture his lips when he does!

Kim Taehyung was all that he guarded his heart from. And he broke in like he had never secured it at all.

He could look into his purple eyes, and see a parallel world. Where Taehyung wasn't a king, he wasn't the protector, this wasn't kaatru, and they were just theirs. With just their choices. Their wants. And their civil talks.

He was asking so much, but it all felt so little now.

Because even after all of his lies, he just wanted to fearlessly choose Taehyung and all of his one hundred different smiles, dark brown eyes, three sculpted moles, and whatever he calls himself abnormal for. Because every incomplete heartbeat, pointed at him. Every tingle in their touch called for him. And every breath they shared, longed for him.

Jungkook should have known. Known when his fingers itched to rearrange Taehyung's hanging locks, should've known when his eyes refused to leave every blink of the king's unattended, should've known when he felt feather light in his arms and weighed priceless in his heart, that Jeon jungkook had never guarded his heart from Taehyung at all.

But he was too late.

Too late to realise that when his arm was wound tight around Taehyung, lips were tasting all of Taehyung and his mind was filled with nothing but Taehyung, that he was all that he wants.

Because it was then when it dawned upon him - he wasn't ready to lose Taehyung. Fate or not.

From their quiet civil talks to his childish demands to the king. From their heavenly kisses to silent fingertips brushing, jungkook wanted it all. But he wasn't ready to pay the price. No, he just found Taehyung, he is yet to discover another one of his (probably) thousand smiles. But he was too late, and time was falling short.