iv. the beginning of a new age

Seven years had passed since Cypauck and James first met and became friends

Seven years had passed since Cypauck and James first met and became friends. Ever since that moment the two started forming a close father-daughter-like bond and lived and worked together as a family.

The faun had explained everything he knew about Narnia to her; who the White Witch was and why the never-ending winter was created. He had also told her about the prophecy of the human Kings and Queens from another world who are supposed to fight and kill Jadis, along with her army; making them win the war and end the reign of the self-proclaimed Queen of Narnia.

Two years ago, the four Pevensie siblings had stumbled upon Narnia through a counrty that, James believed, was called 'Spare Oom' and had made the prophecy finally come true.
It had been a fascinating feeling for James as she had woken up one morning and fresh, green grass, flowers and all sorts of crops bloomed from the, once iced, earth and the never-ending winter finally seemed to find an end.

James had begged Cypauck to take her to Aslan's camp which was roughly three days away by foot, so she could join Aslan's army and help Narnia fight the White Witch. Cypauck had forbidden her to go, since it was a far too long and dangerous way and she was apparently too young to join the army.
The fifteen year old teenager, at the time, had just scoffed, mentioning that the Kings and Queens weren't much older than her, two of them even younger! Sadly, the faun's mind hadn't been changed a bit by that argument, so she just spent her time taking care of the farm and wondering how it must feel to know that you're the savior of so mamy people and their entire country, how much responsibility and stress the Pevensies must feel.

One night, James had shot up from her nightmare, which had shown Aslan dying to the hands of the evil witch. Sweat had dripped down her temples and a single tear fell on the bedsheets as a dull emptiness had filled her entire body, had made her heart stop for a beat and had frozen her veins. She couldn't sleep until the early hours in the morning, when the sun had begun to rise and light jad filled her room. The emptiness was suddenly gone and James felt complete again but she had no clue what this was supposedto mean.

That same day, the battle at Beruna had taken place.

Every citizen of Narnia who didn't participate in the war, was able to feel in when the battle began and ended.

A thick layer of tension had hovered in the air as the two armies clashed together and fought for a country that longed for freedom and peace for the first time in a hundred years. Nervousness had tickled in every cell of James' body. What if they would lose? What if the Witch would kill the Kings and Queens and Narnia would never be able to be free?

Cypauck hadn't seemed to be fazed at all by the Grand Battle, he was too focused on the fact that his crops were finally growing and looked better than ever. It seemed as if it wouldn't matter to him if winter would come back for another century since it was all he had known ever since he first layed eyes on the world.

James had never prayed to Aslan before, but that day she did and she fully believed that her prayers were heard. The girl had hoped and wished and prayed that a new age would begin where there was finally a fair ruler of Narnia and peace.

After endless hours of sitting on the couch, staring into the fire and biting her nails of, relief had finally rushed over James and had made her body shiver. Goosebumps had covered her skin and James was sure: the battle was over, they had won.

The following two years passed by like a lightning.

Everything in Narnia changed for the better. The people became happier, laughed and danced, no more war took place, the children played again and the rumours about James being a part of the prophecy stopped. Everything seemed peaceful and perfect, a little too perfect, if James was honest.

After the terrible winter and long war were over, the girl fell in love with the land of Narnia even more. She was amazed by all the creatures that dared to show their faces again and nothing fascinated her more than looking at the sunset on top of a blooming hill while distant laughter and music rang in her ears and the silhouette of Cair Paravel was recognizable in the far distance.

The following winter after the war was incredibly triggering for most citiziens, sincd it took them by surprise to wake up one morning and see snow and feel the coldness again. James had to admit that the past two winters after the hundred year winter weren't easy and in fact hard to survive. Many people thought in the first days of winter of the New Age that Jadis had retourned once again. And the year after that it looked the same.

All of the people and creatures of Narnia connected at least one negative thing with winter which the new Kings and Queens realized soon as well. It became better though by the end of the second winter of the New Age, because Narnians started to actually realize that Jadis was dead and after three months of winter, spring would always come.

Though, for many Narnians spring never came.

James sighed to herself as she though back to all the creatures that had taken their lives during the first winter, because they couldn't take it anymore. Yuni was one of them. Yuni had been James' dearest and closest friend since first ever came to the town. They went through everything together and James was happy to be able to still remember all the happy memories.

Yuni Amlosh was from Calormen, a land far away, mostly consisting of deserts. Her skin was brown from the Calormenian sun and heat and her hair was long, brown and incredibly fluffy, but Yuni hated it, while James loved it.
Yuni's father and herself had come to Narnia during the 100 Years Winter for whatever reasons, but James was glad they did, because an amazing friendship had bloomed between the two girls.

And sometimes, James even thought that there might have been just a little bit more than just friendship. But that would've been wrong right?

Two girls can't be more than friends, right?