xiii. castle tour

╔═❖•ೋ° - °ೋ•❖═╗

╔═❖•ೋ° - °ೋ•❖═╗

CHAPTER XIII.
CASTLE TOUR

╚═❖•ೋ° - °ೋ•❖═╝

A SERVANT OPENED the door to James' new home

The door opened up to a long hallway filled with dozens of doors left and right that presumably lead to the quarters of the maids and servants. Humans and mythical creatures buzzed in the hallway with buckets and brooms and loud chatter.
“This way,” said the servant ─ whose name was never mentioned to James.
He stepped into the hallway, James right behind him.

She was about to pick up her pace to not lose the man due to the tumult in this particular area of the castle, when suddenly a loud voice echoed.
“Stop!”
In an instant, the chatter subsided and everyone froze. Slowly, James turned around to look at the person responsible for the shock on so many faces.

It was Queen Susan.

She spoke up, again. “Excuse me for interrupting you all while working, but I'd like to speak a few words with James Arians before duty separates us both... is she here?”
The servant without a name turned to look at me and then back at the queen. “Yes, Your Majesty.”
He gave nod towards James, as if to sign her that she was meant to walk towards Susan.
With cautious steps, James followed the implication and headed towards the queen with a confused expression on the face. What was there to discuss that the High Queen of Narnia herself wanted to speak with James?

Arriving in front of the queen, James straightened her back and asked with a somewhat strong voice: “Yes, Your Majesty?”
In all honesty, it felt weird to say those words. Just a few nights ago, she disrespected her queen and stole from her and now... now she was supposed to put up an act for the castle, so no one wpuld be suspicious of her behaviour towards the High Queen.

Susan Pevensie flashed her a smile. “Follow me, please.”
She felt uneasy as well. Pretending not to know someone shouldn't be that hard if you've only met them a couple of days ago, right? Right. Except, for the eldest Pevensie girl it was hard, because she hardly ever lied to her people or her own family. Well, it isn't exactly lying if you're not not saying the truth, right? Susan is just... concealing it. And either way, no one has even asked her yet if she knew James ─ probably because they didn't expect her to be acquainted with regular people from the countryside.
Still, Susan had a pit forming in her stomach.