67: Tension

DAISY

"Shut up, just fucking shut up, you-you. Maybe Caden should get to me. Maybe he should avenge his sister, Maybe grave is better than staying around you." I couldn't stop for a moment to think of the words leaving my mouth, I just let them out.

"I am trying to protect you."

His earlier utterance was a shitload to take in. With a reminder voice creeping into my head, I still haven't processed my life without a job in the next couple of days.

What has he done? Why would he so that to me? I get it, he is powerful, he is the son of the elected governor but why is he so ruthless?

"I do not ask for that, I don't fucking want your protection. Why don't you go protect your girlfriend? I am tired of your commands, I am tired of this hell, I am tired of everything. I am fucking tired of this world." I throw my hands around, feeling like jumping through the window.

How can that once best friend does nothing now but ravage my vigor?

"Daisy?" His eyes filled with intent when he started to step forth but I scream: "Do not touch me." at the moment not caring Riley could hear, but it was potent to get him to halt in his stance.

Why do I always end up giving in to that same stupid hormone that stirs up whenever he was close? Why do I let him touch me?

I hate myself for being so weak to resist his allure.

"I hate you, if there is anything worse than hate, I do you. I regretted ever sharing a word with you, I should've grown up all alone. With you in my life it's hell on earth, you're something else I do not understand. You're a chameleon, you're made of different faces, when you're nice, the next minute you're rude when you're pleased the next you're irritated, when you're honest the next you're immoral and when you said you love me, the next you want to inflict pain upon me. Please find someone to play with, haven't I been used enough? I never asked for all of this." I sobbed my shaky body irresponsively slide down against the wall of the room, pulling my knees to my chest, my elbow on my knees, and hands in my hair.

"What is happening here?"
The question came with a full stop in my heart.

My head shoots up to confounded Riley, her eyes were suspiciously observing me, creases formed on her forehead.

Oh my God, she did hear me. This is it, the moment where my whole life demolishes all because of my selfish need for someone who hates me more than everything.
I'm screwed.

I stared at her with wide eyes, I couldn't breathe at all or I must forget how to.

"Why are you here?" Her eyes went to her boyfriend, the question was his too. "Where have you been all night?"

There's a lump in my throat that won't go down, no matter how much I swallowed.

"We have something to tell you." Kay started.

No!

"We?" Her eyes shift between Kay and me.
I saw the fear in those sky blue eyes of hers.

No, I can't tear her apart, she has done nice things to me I can't even replay half of.
No, I wouldn't dare watch her break down right here because of my recklessness.

I am quick to straighten up on my feet and sniff, wiping my eyes and snort with the back of my hand.

"My father is out of prison." With a thumping heart, I spill out before Kay could murder me with the actuality of what she has no idea of.

I felt the burns of his scrutiny through my skin but I dared myself to not look at him.

"Oh my God, Daisy. I have no idea." Of course, you don't, there is a lot you have not the idea of. Like the fact that I am the worst friend, the fact that I just had my ass rolling over your boyfriend's dick some minutes ago, the fact that I want him to see me the way he shouldn't, the fact that I am having a strong feeling for him and I don't even fear for it.