72: Letters

DAISY

I was preoccupied with everything that's happening that I didn't get to concentrate on the professor discussing about inbreeding, though I've heard him say it's the mating of closely related individuals before my brain went blah blah blah.

You see the past week hasn't been any different from those I've had since I came to this country.

It was perdition, I was inhabiting in agony, tortured by Riley and Kay's PDA everywhere around the house. Not knowing how to connect with my father, was another thing that I don't know how to start. And my mom had already been transferred to hospice care. We had talked and she'd say she was feeling much better, she said the people are so compassionate.

I don't know how I feel about that but I know I had spent last night searching for all the loan sites I could come across.

When I learn I was ineligible for a loan, I had begun looking for a job, hoping I could make money for a ticket to Hong Kong, and all the quick payment jobs I've found were stripping.

It was something I don't know if I can, I've always wanted to study not dance half-naked to drunken old men.

After the genetics lecture which surpassed its duration, I shove my textbook into my bag and rose from my chair but who stood before me was my fear.

It was like my soul had been snatched away, I froze, pale, my mouth dry and my heart threw to the wall of my chest.

Caden.

He stood in his at least six feet height, his eyes twinkle with wicked satisfaction, a smirk pulling on his lips.

He had found me.

Would he kill me around tens of witnesses? Although I doubt no one cares, none among the students notice a girl is being harassed by some enraged none-biology student.

It felt like forever had passed but the truth is it was only a couple of seconds.

He had successfully blocked me. Behind me were some students closing my way out of the roll.

My blood had iced in my veins, I can't even breathe right.

"It looks like is just you and me, no governor's boy." He says and stepped closer until all the hair on my body rises. "You are all mine alone to bake..." He whispered in my ear. His voice chilled.

"Now let's go." He commands.

Not able to function a bit, he grabs my stiff arm and yanks me out of the auditorium. He snatches my backpack and hangs it over his shoulder.

Was he kidnapping me?

What is he going to do to me?

Dread was powerful, it had dominated me, I couldn't blink. I don't even know how my legs were moving by the time we approach some Porsche.

Was it his car?

Was it bought with the money his family had taken from us? With the money of our house that was sold? Or was it with mom's expensive necklaces and jewels?

When he opened the door and threw the backpack in he began directing me into the ride but for once God heard me. And Andre rumbled: "Stay away from her."

Caden's hands immediately left my arms and flies up.
With the screams and murmurs around the background, I don't have to look to know Caden surrendered at a pistol pointed at him.

"Stay back," Andre warned him, and with a smile on his face, he did as said and retreated slowly to the driver's side.

"Get in and leave." Andre continues to command while I watch Caden's eyes say 'it's not over yet.' before he gets into his car and drove away.

Andre comes to my front-asking some things I couldn't decipher, all I see was his mouth moving but everything was deafening quiet except my loud thumping breath, pounding in my head.

I rub my hand over my face, my gaze fell to different eyes around the premises, they're all darted to me.

But my ride was in front of me, I guess Andre had called the rest.

My legs were weak each step I took until I get into the car. Everything is growing too unbearable to take. The eyes; rumors would spread like the disease that it is. I would be that whore in school, or more like a criminal since a gun was involved.

When we were almost at Center Yorker, I could finally speak, I almost demanded the men to drive me to West Bay instead because I was already late but when I process it all and I realized my backpack and phone were with Caden Thaddeus, I must go back to the penthouse and grab some things I will need for the next hours.

Andre and Knightley had promised me to get back my belongings from Caden but knowing violence isn't the answer, I told them not to worry, I can go make a new credit card, grab a new phone and write down three months' worth notes of three-course.

Back in the penthouse, I step into the elevator yearning for that homey warmth but what was there was a drunk teary-eyed Riley sitting on the cold shiny floor, staring at some small paper between her fingers.

Before her was a pile of letters and I immediately know what this is all about.

Today can never get any worse.

Is my father home? Has he...

"Do you remember the letter you wrote for my sixteen birthday?" Riley asked. I don't know how my head nodded because I couldn't operate well.

"You said five years of friendship is most likely to last forever." She laughs small.

Curiously and softly, I certify: "And now we've made it to eight."

"It's a very long friendship that deserves honesty and integrity. Don't you think?" There was a pursuit in those blue eyes drilling in me.

"Sure," I mumbled.

"Do you mean what you said in that letter? You would always be my friend? That you will never do anything to hurt me?" She asked, tears descending her cheeks.

What have I walked into?

Did I just get myself ruined? Had she...

"Just tell me, it's a simple question Daisy. Did you mean it?" She snapped, her outburst startled me.

The speed of my breathing increases.

Words were stuck in my throat, tied up to my tongue, it was hard to vomit them out. Everything that would come out was deceits and betrayals.

I also didn't know how my head nodded at her but it did.

I hate myself for lying to her but it was the only way to keep her. I can't imagine been alone right now.

The friendship we have was the only thing I have left. Everything else is screwed up.

"Do you mean it up till now?" She asked again and I nodded at the girl who exhaled a painful laugh.
"I am so sorry, Daisy. I don't know what is wrong with me, I'm so scared, I can't lose anyone else anymore. I'm scared." She repeated quietly.

When I said I didn't want to lose Riley it was because she was the only reliable person I have now and also because she is the only person who shares the same fear as I do. We have a lot in common. Our similarities were too close that we understood each other easily.

"Is okay, I should go, I'm late for work," I told her and began moving for the staircase but she was fast to stood up, stumbling, she race to me and grab my shoulder.

She giggled: "I can even run, isn't it surprising."

"You should rest and sober up, I have to go," I informed her.

"I am sorry for my behavior, I just want to know you are here, I don't want to lose you." She sobbed and pulled away, leaning against the wall. "But it appears I am a screwed up, I shouldn't doubt you."

"I understand," I assured her and she laughed again.
I must say I don't like drunk Riley, she runs her fingers through her hair and shook her head, her eyes staring at the floor. "That's what he said."

"Who?" I pressed.

Her eyes came to me and she smiled and back up. "It doesn't matter. Don't run late."