88: Broken Screen

RILEY

"How will you like your hair?" The hairstylist
asked behind me.

I was sitting before a mirror in a dressing room at the governor's mansion that KC's parents had fully moved in after the inauguration.

Staring through the mirror at my reflection, I bit my lip bashfully at the presence of KC's mom and her contracted makeup crew that will be getting us ready for the new year ball; Mr and Mrs are Chandler hosting tonight.

"I don't know... Anything that will make me beautiful." I whispered, blushing.

Mrs. Chandler frowns and comes over to where I am sitting.

"Rubbish." She said, staring at me through the mirror. "You don't need a makeover to look beautiful. You already are." She stroked my hair and smiled warmly. "My son is so lucky to have you."

My face was a hue of red at the motherly affection KC's mother was providing me.

"Thank you." I return a smile.

"No, thank you for bringing him home. It means everything." She said, meaning it.

I blush even more.

Coming to Sacramento for the holidays was a good idea. Both KC and I needed it.
For now, he might be angry at me, but it's the right thing to do through the roller coaster emotional days we had.

God knows I deserve this comfort and happiness for a week, and when the holiday is over, I might be ready to confront Daisy and apologize for my unreasonable behavior.

Ever since that day, I've been feeling so stupid for how I've treated her.

It had cruelly hurt when I woke up the next day after the tough night and found out she had really left just like I instructed her.

The truth is, I don't want to lose the friendship we had built for years. Daisy means a lot to me; she is worth a hell of a lot more love than I had given her these days. I didn't know she was going through a lot. I had no idea she needed a friend.

God! I feel sick of myself.

Why did I treat her so unfairly? Thinking she could betray me.

What if I've lost her? What if she had left already?

I swallowed and glanced at KC's mother through the mirror and tried to put a smile on my lip: "What do you suggest I get for my hair?"

"Hey, make sure she has the best hair at tonight's event." She ordered the hairstylist.

"Okay, Ma'am." The woman nodded and began getting the equipment ready while KC's mother smiled back at me.

Mrs. Chandler is the mother I never had. The kind that makes you forget your biological family is a screw-up; they haven't even called you for the holiday because they're both busy with their new family that they had forgotten they used to have a child that is you.

But after I got my hair in a straight and sleek, expensive style with a relaxed glow, letting it shine like KC's mom had demanded, I got a phone call from my mother.

Mrs. Chandler had to hand me the phone and suggest I hear the woman out before I agreed to accept.

I excused myself from the makeup artist who was recreating my face and headed upstairs, where there were silent and fewer housekeepers to talk to my mother.

"Hey, mom," I said the instant I accepted the call and attached the mobile device to my ear.

She crookedly giggles in the receiver and claims: "You didn't call to wish me a happy holiday."

I scoffed and swallowed roughly, having very little patience, I sarcastically said to the woman: "Oh, I am sorry I didn't know I am now responsible for you."

"Do not be like that." She quietly said as I pushed open KC's door and walked in.

Now it is my fault?

"Like what, mom?" I practically yell.

She and dad got a divorce, not caring I could get hurt in the process, but it's my fault?

"Look, I just wanted to check on you." She sadly said.

Well, she shouldn't bother; I am doing good without her.

"Cool, you did; I have to go now." I snapped just as my eyes fell on KC's phone lying on the floor, at the end of the room, by the foot of a drawer where some family frames rest.

"Maybe we can talk some more." Mom suggests with a hint of hope evident in her tone.

"Not going to happen." I blatantly respond, advancing towards the mobile phone that KC must have forgotten behind.

He and Mr. Chandler had taken off earlier this morning, which was surprising just like yesterday, they had spent almost the whole night at Mr. Chandler's office, given how poor their relationship had been until yesterday's afternoon.

"Riley, just give me..." Mom began, but I cut her off, terminating the conversation: "Later, mom, Merry Christmas." And hung up the call.

I lowered to my knees before the mobile phone, where there were shattered glasses from a table lamp.

He must have thrown it for some reason, but what could trigger him so severely that caused this damage?

I picked up the cracked phone and tapped on the roughly damaged screen.

A message page came up and brought my heart to an abrupt stop.

KC: At least let's talk.

KC: You can't just ghost me like this, don't do this to me.

KC: I've been home, but nothing feels right. You have to listen to me. You can't just press stop when I am all in. We have to work this out.

KC: Stop ignoring me and say something!

KC: Why the hell are you doing this? Why do you enjoy messing with my emotions?

KC: Daisy, please, for the sake of our friendship.

KC: Okay, great! Disappear, you are very good at it. Go away, but this time stay there forever. Fuck this fucking thing.

My eyes anchored at the receiver, who was my best friend.

Why will she? Why will he? Why me?