56: Teaming

KAISER

Earlier after a text I wrote, Paul came with interesting reports that have made and ruined my day at the same time.

It was everything about the Thaddeus family that's made my day. My dad once told me 'the important clue to fight a battle is to shield yourself the whole time.'
That's what I have to do for Daisy. I have to protect Daisy.

However, the sad news gave me this migraine, that I couldn't cure. I learned Mrs. Esteban's situation had worsened. I cannot imagine Daisy losing the only one thing she's holding on to. For fuck sake she gave up her passion for painting and went to medical school.

What if circumstances changed and things happen? Bad things? Who will be there for her?

I was preoccupied with everything going on that I'm absent-minded about the present until some dude says. "We're with you." Then I snap out, blinking rapidly.

I almost ask what that meant but it dawned in me, the announcement of the teams had been going on for a while.

"I am with these detectors, I hope is okay babe?" Riley purred.

I could only nod at her as the four fusspots intensify their eyes on me like I'm some fucking Jack Sparrow.

Rolling my eyes at my temporary team, I grab some bottle of what looks punishable from a table and shuffle on my feet, eager to get out of this confine and noisy place.

For the five hours hunt, Riley is with some of my boys, and just like plotted I have Daisy with me.

"Great, I'm sure we will find the box," Riley tells Connor, a third-year business student that's pledged himself to me as if I care. The jerks will do anything to meet my father, that's a fact.

"Let's get going. No time should be wasted." He responded. "Man your girl's safe." He directs his words to me and instead I jerk my chin as a gesture reply.

"Hard luck Daisy." Riley flashes an apologetic smile at her nervous and fidgety friend beside me before leaving with her team.

Granted, I am in no way tracking some shit ass box for some money or trophy. However, I am in for spending hours with the girl that's haunted me for years. Strange right?

Reagan had told me to let myself feel and understand the emotion digging inside of me. And for once I think is a good thing because I'm sure these past two days, I am getting to understand the reason why I can't get away from her.

"Are we going now?" I heard her asked. She's the only girl on the team so it makes it easy for me. I don't wish for any girl stalker this afternoon.

"Aye." I breathed and lift the bottle to my mouth, downing a quarter in an instant before charging ahead, knowing for sure they all would follow behind.

We walk quite a distance for some duration, with Daisy not saying a thing and me not trying to bring out words from her.

I have enough dilemmas to deal with.

"Maybe someone should get on the tree, we could find something." Some wuss among the doofuses suggest.

Having no interest in whatever group task they think I will participate in, rather I only agree. "Great idea."

"I doubt you will find anything up there. Besides, the trees are tall and branchless, is not safe." Oh, and she dares poke her nose.

"Quite thoughtful." I caustically remark and take a swig from the bitter bottle.

"Hey." She nudges my arm and speeds up behind me, I can hear her tiny little heaves as she struggles to catch up with my long footsteps. "They look up to you, you can't be nonchalant about it."

"I'm sorry I do not take care of people my age."

"You have a problem and I hope you get better." She exasperatedly throws and turns back to the circle of doofuses.

They continue to search while I continue punishing myself with this cheap liquor. Who the fuck even provided them?

"I think we should group up and check around." Yet again they decided to include me in their talk by the time I'm already exhausted with the boring job.

"We have found three clues, I don't think we should separate." They begin arguing among themselves, causing my head to react with a sudden thumping.

"I don't care, what do you think KC?"

"Good with me." I shrug, mentally wishing them away.

"Told you is a good idea, he thinks so too."

My eyes rolled responsively until another doofus went and suggested.
"I will go with her."

Her? The only her here is Daisy and that means he's trying to get on my territory.

"You will go with someone else." I declared, practically snarling.

Grateful, they know better than to protest, so they hike forward.

"What's that about?"

"What's what about?" I reluctantly ask her.

"You know what I mean."

She sounded angry but I don't care to look. I don't want to look, for I can't resist the temptation of feeling her smooth skin against my fingers, nor the strong longing to watch her until my eyelids heavy until forever comes and I still haven't got enough of her beauty.

"Caden is after you, you don't expect me to just let you meander with strangers," I explain.

"Students." She corrected contrarily.

Why does she have to be stubborn?

"Students you don't know." I clarify this to her.

"You don't possibly think they will do anything to me."

"Oh believe me I know, those doofuses can not handle your puff." I scoff. They are nowhere in sight, they probably must be heading some direction for the Disney treasure box, a college student is expected to find.

"You are so disrespectful." She says with disgruntle expression etched into her face.
"Do you have water?" She appended afterward.

I briefly glance at her and hold out the bottle of whatever the fuck I've been taking in.
"Here."

"Thanks, I don't drink."

Definitely.