85: Hall

DAISY

Dead in my track, I accepted every worst feeling and let tears stream down my face, soaking into my shirt.

It's all over. Everything I wanted to conserve is now scattered.

My father hates me even before I get to have a reasonable conversation with him. Riley suspects me ultimately, which she had every right to. I am a snitch anyway. And the last place I have left me with no choice, the chances to see my mom weren't anymore slim; they're faded.

I wouldn't get to hug and hold her hand. I wouldn't be there to assure her I would be okay no matter what happened.

All that I had left of her will soon be the kiss she planted on my head before I left Hong Kong.

If only I didn't take the scholarship, my life could've been so much better.

Indeed, right now, everything is over.

But what brought the final blow was the failed muffled moans and panting from the room down the hall, meant for Kaiser and Riley.

It was my personal apocalypse, staring at the corner they both disappeared through earlier.

My head is spinning. I numbly listen to my world falling apart.

Did he leave me for her? Knowing I was standing here listening to everything?

I don't understand. Is this some payback of something we haven't worked out?

Was it worth pulling the knife from my heart and letting me bleed?

I feel faint. I just want the pain to stop.

I should block my hearing and pinch myself to escape this nightmare and have mercy for my torn heart, but I made no effort, given every organ in my body had become useless.

Dispaired, I back up instead of taking a forward step as I intended. Maybe my legs couldn't carry me anymore.

What has my life become? What have I done wrong?

He promised he loved me. Where is that now? I know I have no right to blame him because I certainly pushed him away and led him to Riley.
But at least not this night! When my world is about to obliterate.

It was sickness. It was a slap in the face.

The ding from the elevator roused a part of me, and I tilted my head to find Andre, walking in with my handbag.

He quietly dropped it on the sofa and asked if I needed anything.
I don't know if I answered, but I watch him turn and exit the penthouse.

Lifeless, I drag myself to the sofa, pull up the handbag that felt heavy in my inactive hand.

Think...

It was hard, but I had to.

My trembling fingers dig into that bag for my phone.

Even though quiet had resurfaced within the penthouse, already those delightful cries had gotten to me more than the sharpness of an ax splitting a wood.

My inside was torn, bleeding poorly while I tried to find Kate's digits through blurred vision.

Gladly, she picked on the first ring.

"Daisy?" Her voice was cheerful at first.

"Hey!" I croaked, trying to suppress my agony. I shouldn't ruin whatever fun she's having.

However, she noticed.
"Are you okay?"

"Can I... Can I..." Not having anywhere to go, she is the only option I have around here.