Chapter Twelve

Mackenzie had returned home quicker than she thought. JJ wasn't at the station when she got there, he had already left. With his dad. That knowledge made Mackenzie feel icky. She knows JJ's father is an asshole, and she hates the thought of JJ being alone with him.

When she got back to the Henderson house, she managed to sneak back in just fine. Coming out of her room as if she had been there for hours. She saw her mother discussing with staff for Midsummers. That is until Catalina saw her daughter.

"Mackenzie, go get ready. Susan will be right there when she's done with Ella," Catalina told her daughter before quickly turning back to talking business. "Mom that's ridiculous I can get ready on my own," Mackenzie groaned, retreating to her room and beginning to change into the emerald green dress.

Her long red hair was already set in nice loose curls from previous days of wearing braids. All she did with her hair was bring it into a simple half up half down, putting in a beautiful hairpiece. Silver diamonds making leaf petals as if there was a vine running through her hair only made of diamonds. She truly did look beautiful.

So when all the Henderson children were dressed and ready, they drove over to the island club in a limousine Aster had ordered for them. A little extra if you asked Mackenzie.

Now of course the Henderson's were the first to be at the club, seeing as they own it and had to be there first. So Mackenzie simply sat on one of the couches inside the club, waiting for the party to get started so she could find a way to leave it.

So when Kiara showed up with her parents, the dark-haired girl joined her friend sitting on the couch. They simply talked and giggled as they tried to catch grapes in their mouths.

"Hey, I think Pope is here, heard my dad talking to Heyward," Mackenzie commented, the two friends then left the couch, going in search of their goofball friend. "Hey wanna do British accents?" Kiara suggested with a giggle. "Hell yeah."

As they found the Heyward boy, they snuck up quietly. "Excuse me, sir. Do we have to shuck these ourselves?" Mackenzie started, speaking with a fake British accent. When Pope turned around, Kiara picked it up. "Cause it might mess up our costumes," she smiled. "Well we wouldn't want that now would we," Pope grinned, greeting his two friends with the Pogue handshake.

"Those accents were bad," the boy comments. "Yeah they were," Kiara agreed. "Yeah we're just gonna ignore it," Mackenzie giggled. "You ever seen this many Kooks in one place?" the dark-haired girl wondered. "Sadly yes. Several school years," the other girl sighed. "Plus don't forget last year's Midsummers," Pope added. "We're in the lion's den," said Kiara. "Exactly."

Pope pursed his lips together before speaking, "hey have either of you heard from JJ?" Mackenzie bounced her foot as Kiara spoke first. "No. He'll be alright, he's got the survival instincts of a cockroach," the dark-haired girl said. "He wanted to see me," Mackenzie sighed, "a deputy came by our house, apparently JJ wouldn't say a word until he saw me. My mom wouldn't let me go see him."

"Well, knowing JJ, he's out of there and already looking for you," Kiara chuckled softly, trying to lighten the redhead's obvious low mood. "This is all my fault," Pope mutters. "You didn't do this Pope. Topper almost killed you," Kiara countered. "Only because of the boat."

"Look JJ knew what he was doing. He took the blame and he's okay with that, I know he is. He didn't want you to get in trouble and lose everything you've worked for. It's not your fault," the shorter girl told. The three friends heard clapping and looked to see the Cameron family coming through.

"Here come Lord Capital and the Exploiters," Kiara sighed. "She's gonna poke someone's eye out with that thing," Pope commented on Rose Cameron's headpiece. "She looks like a dumb Lady Liberty," Mackenzie chuckled before seeing her father calling her over. "My bullshit duties await me. Check on me later, make sure I'm not dying," she huffs, walking away.