Delinquents

"They're a right shower, they are," Mrs Mallory said. She nodded towards the group of young people who had gathered outside the small supermarket at the far end of the plaza.

"They're not doing any harm." Mrs Tooley looped another length of wool around her needles and continued knitting. "You shouldn't be so judgmental, Vera. After all, we were young once. Like them."

A peal of raucous laughter echoed between the shuttered shops. Mrs Mallory flinched at the sound, then scowled at the youngsters. "We were never like them, Peg. Never. We always had respect for our elders. Seen - but not heard! That was our way."

"Respect?" Peg Tooley paused her knitting. "I remember your father slapping you when you gave him cheek. He'd told you off for being kissed by Peter Finnegan - remember? You complained to anyone who would listen for the next week."

Vera Mallory gave a snort of disgust. "Yes. But I always showed him respect. That's the difference. Not like those - those!" She shook her walking stick in the direction of the supermarket. "Those creatures over there."

"And then there was that police sergeant you flashed your knickers at outside the Horses. You didn't show him any respect."

A red flush began to spread across Mrs Mallory's cheeks. "Him." She pursed her lips tightly. "Everyone knew what he was like. He was a wrong 'un - didn't deserve any respect."

Peg continued with her knitting. "And then there was that time ... ."

"No!" Vera Mallory folded her arms in indignation. "I'm not going to sit here and let those things flaunt their ill mannered ways. I'm going to give them a piece of my mind." She made to stand up, but her companion stopped her.

"Let me," Peg said. "You're all flustered. She heaved herself up from her seat on the concrete bench and tottered her way across the plaza.

Mrs Mallory watched her friend as she talked to the leader of the youths, occasionally glancing back to where Mrs Mallory was seated. Some words were exchanged. Mrs Mallory strained to hear them, but even with her hearing aid turned up all the way she could not hear anything more than mumbling. After a minute or so, the group began to break up and move away. Vera allowed herself a satisfied smile; but, when she saw Peg walking away with the others, the smile faded and her expression became cold and stony. She glared after them.

"A right shower," Mrs Mallory muttered. "That's what you are."