Chapter 11 - Recovery

After they loaded us onto stretchers and onto the quinjet, they decided it would be best to get us back to base before starting to patch us up, concidering it would only take 4 mins and our injuries required an x-ray machine. When we got there Chloe and I got seperated and taken to different rooms.

"Ok, what happened this time?" said Linda McRoe, my personal medic. "Sabotage, exposition or collapsed building."

"All of the above," I groaned.

She came over to me, shooing the other medics away. She pressed a cloth onto my side and I hissed in pain. She then proceeded to give me some pain meds before digging around inside the wound and pulling out any debris still stuck in there. After she had stitched it closed, she covered it with a bandage.

"Can you believe that in this section of the base, we only have one x-ray machine?"

"That's annoying."

"Another failed mission came in just before yours so they're getting x-rayed first, then Chloe, then you."

"So what should we chat about while we wait?"

"What has been your worst injury so far?"

"Well,"

"I can't believe I've never asked you that question."

"My worst injury so far was actually just before you started working here. I got shot in the thigh on my first mission. The bullet completely shattered my femur. I was on crutches for 8 months in total."

"Wow!"

"Yeah, it was quite hard to explain at school. I came back from the Christmas holidays with a broken leg and after the summer holidays I was finally off crutches but instead I had a cast on my wrist."

"What happened to your wrist?"

"I tripped over a T-shirt in my bedroom."

"Ok, lol. So what was your silliest major injury?"

"Did you just day lol?"

"Yes."

"Okay. When you were on maternity leave last year, I broke my wrist blocking one of Chloe's punches during training."

"What? How is that even possible?"

"I know right. But it's good to know she can punch well."

"So, are you two good again?"

"Yeah just a few minutes ago actually. She admitted that she loves me too much to stay mad at me."

"That's cool."

An agent popped his head in to tell us the x-ray machine was free and they wheeled me down to the x-ray room. It turns I had 7 broken ribs and my arm was broken in six places. I was given very strong pain meds.

After I had been patched up, Linda grabbed my stuff for me and drove me home in my car with another agent following behind in another car to take her back to base. As soon as I was home I crashed on the sofa. And that's when the nightmare started.