CHAPTER TWENTY

CHIEF EMESHILE'S POV

"Hunny, bring another wine please"

"Chief, this wine is good, very good" Mr James complimented

"Of course. These are imported wines. Not to be found in any anyhow place in Nigeria"

"Barrister, I am happy. You see? When I checked your records and saw you were the best and you haven't recorded any loss since 9 years in service, I knew you would tackle this case well. Ahn, I'm indeed Happy"

"Chief, I must say I appreciate. It was easier to win the judge's mind than I expected"

"Ha ha ha. I already paid Justice Omekannaya a friendly visit before time. There's nothing that could have gone wrong, except well.. if the young boy had failed to destroy their evidence or the Judge wasn't on seat"

"Ahhhhhhh, Chief your hand was long enough to get this case in our favor"

"Yes, I'll like to have your account number again. You deserve something bigger.

That boy too, I have told him to come around today. He should be ready to leave for Illorin in two days, with flight.

That's what you get for keeping deals" I laughed satisfied with the way things are.

FELICIA'S POV

Anger has filled my body. An Independent Judiciary was what I thought we had.

"My dear, it's a sad thing that the criminals found a way to sideline the law. You don't have to keep blaming yourself" Mrs Helen Said

Can we talk?

My phone beeped and when I read the message from Philip my rage grew more.

* * *

I walked down the street and found him waiting under a mango tree.

"Yes, you asked to see me" I said not taking away my shades. My eyes were swollen beyond recognition and it was only to avoid Attention that made me put on the dark shades.

"See, I'm sorry I couldn't show up in court yesterday"

I nod, aware that I could stab him if I was given a knife.

"I'll be leaving for Illorin tomorrow, and I just thought of saying goodbye and apologizing"

The actual nerves

"Congratulations" I replied coldly

"God made a way like you always said, Chief gave me a scholarship"

"Right" I replied

"Uhm, I don't know if you're angry.. but I..

"...You don't know if I'm angry? I Interrupted him before he could finish.

"I.. I.." he stammered

I took off my shades in anger. Giving him a clear look. He could see the emotions burning in my eyes.

"Your eyes are swollen, Jesus"

"Yes. Because you betrayed me"

PHILLIP'S POV

"Yes. Because you betrayed me"

I swallowed hard and I felt guilt wave me.

She walked away, and I couldn't man up the courage to stop her.

* * * *

My mother had carefully supervised the packing, Made sure I even took a Bible along.

"I can't believe Chief can be so kind. Ah God" my mother happily commented

She was thrown off when I told her of the flight too.  She was unaware of the deal I made with Chief so she believed it was God's way of rewarding her service. And he had answered her most prayed prayer

"Lord, The places I have failed to reach, Let my Children reach there"

The guilt I had been feeling however,  Was replaced with excitement as soon as the plane took off.

FELICIA'S POV

I'm lucky Princess wasn't buried so far away. She was buried in her father's compound and so, it gave me the Advantage of always going to meet her whenever I missed her, which was EVERYTIME. I was by her graveside more than I stayed in my room.

"Felicia, Come inside the house" Mrs Helen beckoned on me

"I need more time please" I screamed so she could hear me.

"You've been there for almost five hours, come my dear, come"

I turned to the grave and I smiled, this time with hot tears running down my cheeks.

"don't worry I will personally not let them go unpunished...