Epilogue

“Mornin’ beautiful.”

She stirred sleepily and opened one eye to groggily look at the man next to her. She would never get used to waking up to that grin.

“Morning,” she whispered rubbing her eyes. “What time is it?”

“About a quarter past eight.” He said craning his neck to look at the clock on the bedside.

She simply groaned sleepily.

He wrapped his arm around her waist, placing a quick kiss on her lips. “Don’t forget we have a flight at 3 so you gotta meet me at the airport by 1.”

She nodded, still too sleepy to say anything.

He shifted to get out of bed but she caught his hand. “Don’t get up just yet.” She whined tugging at it.

He grinned as he lay down again and placed soft kisses on her cheek and neck. “Well what do you wanna do? You’re too sleepy to talk.”

“I can think of a lot of things we can do other than talking.” She teased.

“Oh really? Like what?” he grinned as he leaned on his elbow staring into her eyes as her head rested on his arm.

She pretended to think deeply before turning to him like she’d just gotten an idea. “Oh I know! What about this?” she said grabbing his face and pulling him down for a deep kiss. He groaned against her mouth as he felt himself losing control.

**

Emma stretched her tired arms as she sat in the cab next to Jake who was staring out the window absent-mindedly. It had been a long flight and she’d slept most of the way. Jake however had remained quite restless she’d observed. She slipped her hand into his and he turned to look at her. Giving her a quick smile, he turned once more to look out the window, their fingers still intertwined.

They were in Edinburgh on their way to the Cosgrove farmhouse for Cheryl and Christopher’s third wedding anniversary. Since Cheryl was expecting, they’d decided to host a grand party this year and both their extended families were invited. Emma couldn’t help the warm feeling she felt when she realized they considered her one of the family too. She glanced at Jake again wondering not for the first time, how she’d gotten so lucky. He was hers and she never wanted that to change.

As the car pulled up in front of the house, she was greeted by the sight of Cheryl sitting in the garden looking highly impatient. She stood up beaming when she saw the car and half ran to the car, slowing down to a walk sheepishly when Christopher called out to her to be careful. Her bump had just begun to show and she was practically glowing, Emma noted.

Jake got out and enveloped her in a tight hug.

“I’m so glad you two could make it!” Cheryl exclaimed excitedly.

“Of course Jake wouldn’t miss it.” Christopher said walking up to where they were standing.

Emma couldn’t help feel there was a hint of humour in his tone though she couldn’t understand why.

They went inside and unpacked which didn’t take too long as they were only staying for 2 days. Emma glanced at the clock and saw that it was 6. The soiree would begin in about 2 hours so she quickly hopped into the shower while Jake went out to greet the other guests. After changing, she stood in front of the mirror applying makeup when Jake walked in. He glanced at her and quickly made his way to the shower. Emma felt slightly hurt that he hadn’t even complimented her though she had worn the brand new Ralph Lauren dress he’d bought her on her birthday. He stepped out of the shower in a few minutes with a towel wrapped around his waist picking up the neatly pressed and folded shirt on his bed and pulling it on. She stepped out allowing him to change and went downstairs where all the other guests were gathered. She greeted them all and grinned as she realized how at ease they all seemed around her and how they treated her like part of the family.

A while later she saw Jake descend the stairs looking handsome as ever in his dark suit. He spotted her in the crowd and walked towards her looking quite serious. “Em I need to talk to you.” He mumbled in a low tone. His sober look frightened her a little and she followed him as he led her outside. He led her a little out front and she recognized it as the part of the garden they’d walked in after he’d apologized for his rudeness towards her at that party three years ago.

He stopped abruptly and turned towards her. As he did, Emma gasped as lights decorating the quaint place lit up. It looked magical. He picked up a flower and gently tucked it behind her ear smiling. Just like that night, she thought blushing.

Then holding her hand, he looked at her in the most adoring fashion as he spoke. “Emma I love you so much. You are what I want to wake up to every morning and the last thing I want to see before I sleep. No other woman has ever pulled me in the way you have. Whether it’s your annoying habit of acting far too prestigious or your beautiful smile right after I kiss you, I want it. I want it all. I want you for the rest of my life Emma. Nobody else.” As he spoke the last words, he knelt down on one knee and pulled out a small box from his coat pocket. Only when she became aware of an odd gasping noise did she realize she had been crying. Tears streamed down her face as the man she loved knelt before her with the most beautiful ring perched in the box in his hand glinting in the light.

“Emma Ralph, will you marry me?” he asked and she could see he was slightly nervous. She couldn’t help giggling at the thought. Did he honestly think there was even the remotest chance that she would reject him? Wiping away her tears, she nodded happily. “Yes. Oh Jake, yes!”

He stood up and taking the ring out of the box, slipped it onto her finger, immediately pulling her into a passionate kiss after. She kissed him back with such fervour she felt she couldn’t breathe. He drew away grinning and she only then became aware of hooting and clapping behind her. She turned to see the guests standing outside in the garden cheering. Cheryl was wiping away tears as she stepped forward to envelop first Emma and then Jake into a tight hug.

“Emma Jake Walters. I like it.” He grinned nudging her playfully.

She laughed as she turned and kissed his cheek.

“So do I.”