Chapter 3

~Chapter 3~

Emma pulled out the magenta gown she had brought for the evening. They were having a small soiree and she intended to look her best. The plan was to win Christopher back in a manner she thought fair and square. As she tied her hair in a loose fishtail braid, she admired her mother's work. Her mother was a fashion designer and Emma had bought the dress from one of her boutiques. A frightful thought suddenly crossed her mind and her eyes widened. Slipping out of her room, she crossed the hall and after a short rap on the door, entered the room opposite hers. 

It was empty. Annoyed, she turned to go before the lock on the bathroom clicked and the man she was looking for came out of the bathroom dressed in nothing but boxers with teddy bears on them. 

"Oh dear God!" she shouted as she turned around.

She heard him curse out of shock.

"What the hell are you doing here?" he asked in annoyance. "Get out of my room!"

She gulped. "I just came to make sure you looked your best. After all, if we are to look good together, you must look like you deserve me."

She heard a snort from behind her. "You are really full of yourself, aren't you princess?"

"Shut up and put a shirt on!" she said frustratedly.

She heard rustling behind her before she heard him drawl, "You can turn around now."

She slowly peeked over her shoulder and when she was satisfied that he had indeed pulled a t shirt on, she turned around. "Alright now. Let's see what you've got." she declared authoritatively as she threw open his closet.

"What are you doing?" he asked in surprise.

She ignored his question but shuffled through his clothes. "No. No. No. That is hideous. I wouldn't be seen dead with you if you wore that. That's alright. No. Ah perfect! Pair this with, er, let me see, ah these and you're good to go!" she finally turned around with a light blue formal shirt, a grey vest and pants in her hand beaming.

He was watching her with his arms crossed over his chest and a bored expression on his face. "I was planning to wear that vest at the wedding with my suit." he told her matter-of-factly.

"Oh there won't be a wedding." she chirped as she handed it to him and walked out of his room. "I shall expect you to pick me up from my room!" she called out as she closed the door behind her.

***

It was an hour before she heard a knock on her door. 

"Finally!" she threw her hands up in exasperation as she flung the door open. She couldn't help stare at him. He looked so, well, dashing to say the least. She quickly banished those thoughts when she saw the drink in his hand however. He noticed her gaze and shrugged. "The party's great, in case you were wondering."

Her nostrils flared. "You went down without me?" she shouted.

He winced at her tone. "I forgot. And what is it with me picking you up. We live in the same house!" 

She launched herself at him and he took a few steps back in anticipation of the attack causing her to trip over her own dress and fall flat on her face. 

"Ouch." he clicked his tongue in pity making a face as he bent to lift her up.

"I hate you!" she announced angrily as she got up without his help and glared at him. But she grabbed his hand regardless and pulled him to the top of the stairs with her. Once there, she fixed her hair slightly, before lifting her arm. He rolled his eyes before walking down all by himself.