Chapter 2

~Chapter 2~

Dressed in a yellow floral sun dress paired with a yellow hat and red pumps, Emma descended down the stairs to the garden where they were all to have lunch. About 20 of the attending guests had arrived out of which she recognized only a few. Her eyes softened when she saw Christopher talking to a few guests. He looked handsome as ever. He had cut his blonde hair a little shorter so it didn't fall in his eyes like it used to but it still looked good on him. He was tall, about 5'11 and was well built from frequenting the gym. She began to walk towards him but stopped dead in her tracks when she saw a girl approach him and kiss him gently on the cheek. He turned to her and grinned before wrapping one arm around her.

Emma eyed Cheryl jealously noticing how her auburn hair glinted in the sun and how those green eyes sparkled when she was looking at Christopher. Straightening her dress, Emma put on a smile regardless of the dead weight in her stomach and strode towards the couple. 

"Christopher." she announced graciously. He turned to her and the smile on his face was immediately replaced by a scowl. 

"Emma." he nodded. 

"This must be your fiancee Cheryl." she looked at the girl and was pleased to note she looked almost intimidated by her. 

"Cheryl this is Emma." he nodded and she extended her hand. Emma shot her a fake smile before turning back to Christopher ignoring her outstretched arm. Cheryl pulled back her hand, flustered and Christopher glared at Emma. 

"Here's your drink Cher." she heard a voice and turned to look at the source. She blushed when she saw who it was.

Jake Walters stood behind her holding a glass out to his sister. He barely threw Emma a glance. She had to admit he looked much better than that morning. He had showered and a whiff of some pleasant cologne reached her nose. He wore tan shorts and a light blue shirt with the sleeves folded.

Cheryl smiled at him gratefully and then pointed to Emma. "Jake this is Emma, Christopher's friend." she said.

"Ah yes! His friend." a mischievous smile played on his lips, "We met this morning."

Emma found herself blushing deeply again and absolutely hated it. It was so unlike her, that she even found Christopher looking at her curiously. Thankfully, she was saved further embarrassment when Mrs. Cosgrove announced lunch was served. 

They all sat around the table and Emma found herself sitting between Mr. Cosgrove and Jake. "Could this get any worse?" she thought to herself angrily. As if hearing her thoughts, Jake turned to her and smiled. 

"Well Jake Walters at your service. When are you going to pounce me?" he chuckled. 

"Oh shush will you!" she hissed hoping noone had heard. He grinned. 

"So how exactly did you plan to ask me out?" he asked feigning a look of genuine curiousity. She turned away but he had the audacity to nudge her. "Go on!" he said with a smirk. 

"Don't touch me." she glared at him. "And I don't have to do or say anything. Is this not enough?" she said pointing to herself. "Men would kill to be with me." she flipped her hair haughtily. He just gave her an amused look. For some reason, it unhinged her and she cleared her throat and tried to change the topic. 

"So how come you aren't moping?" she asked, "A month isn't too long." 

He shrugged. "I guess we'd been drifting apart for a pretty long time so when she told me she wanted to start seeing other people, I realized there was no way I could save this thing." a momentary look of sadness reflected in his eyes before he blinked and it vanished. "Well since you know so much about me, I think it's only fair I get to ask you a few questions. What do you do?" he asked as he reached for the salad. 

"I'm an interior designer." she said relieved he didn't seem too offended by what had happened that morning. 

"I'm a cardiologist. But you probably already know that." he grinned at her and she looked away embarrassed. She had known he was a doctor. 

"Can I ask you something?" she looked at him hopefully. He nodded with his mouth full. "You know my intentions and yet you don't seem to have told anyone about them. Why's that?" she asked slowly. 

His expression immediately turned serious. He lowered his voice further. "Truth be told, I don't wholeheartedly disagree on your thoughts that my sister isn't right for Christopher." he frowned. Her eyes widened at his confession. "Look at her. She's only 19. I don't know what's the rush to get married. She has her whole life ahead of her. She hasn't even decided on a college yet and she's decided the man she's going to spend the rest of her life with. It's ridiculous!" he continued. 

"You really care about her, don't you?" she asked curiously. 

He glanced at her, surprised at her observation. "She's the only family I've got." he shrugged sheepishly, "Mom passed away when I was 18 and Cher was 11. Dad loved her so much, he passed away in his grief 2 years later. I've had to raise her on my own. We've been through a lot together and I don't want her to throw away everything over some guy." 

"Christopher is not just some guy!" she glared at him and he raised his arms in defense. 

"I just think they're rushing into it, that's all." he stated wearily. 

"Have you tried talking to her?" she asked inquisitively. 

He gave her a sarcastic look. "No the thought never struck me."

"You don't have to be rude." she said sheepishly. 

He looked taken aback. "What are you? 12? I was just kidding." he said. 

She threw him an angry look. "Noone speaks to me like that. You are rude and mean." she stated. 

"Well I'm sorry." he said slowly, "You really aren't used to being talked like that, are you?" 

She shook her head. "I'm older than your sister anyway." she rolled her eyes, "Not 12." 

He chuckled and shook his head disbelievingly, "Well how old are you?" 

She smiled at him slyly, "A lady never reveals her age." 

He rolled his eyes, "Come on! Ok let me guess. 23?" he asked and she shook her head with the same michievous smile. "24?" She giggled. "You're 24, aren't you?" he asked. She shrugged still giggling. He smiled  as well. "Alright don't tell me. But can I ask you a question?" he asked seriously. She looked at him curiously. "Do I really look like a servant to you?" She burst out laughing causing everyone at the table to turn and look at her in astonishment, especially the people who knew her. Excusing herself, she blushed as she looked down and replied, "It was the clothes I suppose. Oh and the perspiration." 

"Oh come on!" he groaned, "They were basketball shorts. These guys have an amazing court. Have you seen it?" 

Still chuckling, she shook her head. Her smile vanished however when her eyes fell on the couple sitting at the end of the table. Cheryl was spoon feeding Christopher and it revolted her. She got up and excused herself from the table. Walking back to the house, she gasped when she entered, leaning against the wall. It suffocated her, it physically hurt her to see him with somebody else. She couldn't help the way she felt. She fought back tears angrily. She would do everything in her power to call off this wedding. Despite her initial plan to work alone, it felt good to know she might have an accomplice. Fixing herself up, she walked out back on to the lawn and took her place beside Jake. "So do we have a deal?" she asked coldly. He looked a little taken aback at her abrupt question and then slowly nodded. "Do you have a plan?"