Plates and Glasses

The voice of Chris Martin echoed through the kitchen. Ian was singing along to Yellow, feeling good that morning and woke up early. He just finished making breakfast and placed the plate of pancakes and bacon on the table. It's been a while since he cooked for Lea since she was away for work. He missed doing this for her and speaking of his wife, he heard her footsteps coming down from their room.

"Good morning, Love!" He greeted her as she came into their dining area.

Lea came up to him and gave him a peck on the lips. Lea looked around and saw that he prepared a meal.

"You cooked?" Lea asked him because she was sure that she told him something last night.

"Yeah." He answered honestly and that's when he noticed that she's dressed. "You have work today?"

She nodded, "Di'ba I have a meeting today and rehearsals for The Voice? I told you last night."

Ian tried to remember if she did, but he thought that he was starting to doze off when she told him about it. Ian sighed in disappointment. He was looking forward to a day of being alone with her.

"But you just got in the other day from Australia. Wala ka bang jetlag? Hindi ba pwedeng pahinga muna and spend time with your husband?"

Lea felt guilty. It had been a busy time for her and kept telling herself that she'd make up for it during Christmas until New Year's, but maybe the small moments should matter, too. She came up to him and wrapped her arms around his waist.

She smiled, hoping it would help and charm him, "Sorry, Love if I'm really busy." She caressed his cheek using the back of her fingers. "Ganito na lang. I will make bawi tonight. I'll make dinner for us."

Ian tried to suppress his smile and pulled her closer to him. "Dinner lang ang bawi?"

Lea wanted to giggle, "Ano pa ba ang gusto mo?"

Ian hummed, pretending to be thinking. She knew he was trying to tease her. "Pwede rin sa kama natin..."

Her eyes widened and slapped his chest, "Ikaw, Veneracion, ang aga-aga!"

"What? What I mean is... ikaw magligpit ng kama. Yung pinaghigaan natin." He chuckled, "Ikaw, ha?! Ano ba ang iniisip mo?"

Lea rolled her eyes which made him laugh, "Sige na. I need to go. I will just make this my baon para naman di sayang yung niluto mo. I will eat it in the car."

Ian smiled, "Let me just wrap it for you."

Lea smiled and let him go from their hug. She poured the freshly brewed coffee in her tumbler while her husband fixed her breakfast baon. While watching him move around, she sometimes thought that she didn't deserve how her husband could be so caring towards her, so she really wanted to make up for it that night.

Lea's rehearsals finished earlier than expected which made her really happy. She could pass by the grocery, grab their favorite wine, and prepare the promised meal for Ian. As soon as she got home from the grocery, she noticed that his bike was not around, confirming that he's not yet home.

He did text her that he had some quick errands to do and he'd be home just before dinner. She started to organize the groceries in their respective shelves and cabinets. Her OC-ness could be seen visually and she was proud to say that Ian matched that, as he was organized too, especially in the kitchen.

She started preparing the ingredients, boiling a pot of water for her pasta and slicing her veggies. As the multi-tasker that she was, she knew that she would be done in no time and felt excited that she got to do this for Ian.

She was humming a happy tune when she heard the roar of his motorcycle and then the click of the front door.

"Love?" She heard him call.

"In the kitchen!" She answered back.

"Shower lang ako, Love!" He replied back.

"Okay! Dinner in 15 minutes!" She exclaimed and didn't hear him anymore, assuming that he already went up to their room.

Lea tried to speed things up so Ian didn't have to wait for long. She was ready to set the table and grabbed the placemats and utensils. She needed the plates and glasses next.

She took out the step stool and opened the top shelf and was surprised to find out that the things she needed were not there. Instead, their collectible mugs were sitting quietly inside the cupboard. She opened the other top cabinets and still, no plates and glasses.

This frustrated her because she was the one that organized all of it. She didn't like it when everything got scrambled without her knowledge.

Ian found his wife struggling through the cabinets. He checked what was missing until he noticed the dining table. She must've been looking for the plates and glasses.

He walked into the kitchen and opened the lower cabinets by the sink. He pulled out the plates and glasses.

"Looking for these, Love?"

Lea turned and looked at him in disbelief. "Why are they there?"

He heard the disappointment in her tone. "I reorganized our things while you were out." He explained with a smile because he knew that she didn't like it when things were not in their proper places.

"Why?"

"Kasi po gumagamit ka pa ng stool para lang buksan yung cabinets." He said while getting near her.

Lea's brows raised as she felt offended by what he said, "Are you insulting my height again?"

Ian chuckled. "Slight." He said and earned a smack on his arm. "Aray naman, Love! Joke lang kasi 'yon!" He pulled her closer to him.

"I hate you," she uttered.

"No, you don't! I love your height kaya. I get to do this." He kissed the crown of her head. "Nilagay ko lang naman sa baba yung plates and glasses para di ka mahirapan. Paano kung wala ako dito tapos madulas ka sa step stool? Tapos ma-aksidente ka? Or may mahulog tapos may nabasag. Eh di na-konsensiya pa ako ng dahil sa plato at baso dahil napahamak ka. You know I won't be able to forgive myself if something happens to you."

As much as she didn't want to pout, she couldn't help it. Her husband was just always after her wellness and safety. Why does she feel so lucky?

"Okay na ba yung reason ko, Love?" He rubbed her back because he could still feel that she's annoyed.

"Only if you wash the dishes after eating."

Ian chuckled. "Ako naman talaga ang naghuhugas ng plato. That's your hatest chore!" Lea finally giggled. "Kain na tayo? Nagugutom na ako eh. Tapos mamaya..."

Lea looked at him since he didn't finish his sentence. "Anong mamaya?"

"Sabi mo babawi ka din sa kama?"

Lea rolled her eyes again and pinched his cheek. "Ang bilis bilis talaga sa ibang bagay! Halika na nga!"

"Kiss muna!" He said and without a doubt, Lea gave him one.