The Perfect Gift

Ian came home and was very excited about a plan that he had been working on for weeks for his wife. Their wedding anniversary was coming up and he really wanted to surprise her. All he had to do was to find and come up with a perfect excuse so everything could go on without a hitch.

He expected to enter an empty house, but to his surprise, his wife was on the couch, watching her favorite Netflix series while her iPad was also in her hand. Multi-tasking is a skill that she was an expert of which he could never do.

"Love! You're home early!" He walked up to her and planted a kiss on the top of her hair.

She smiled. "Rehearsals finished early eh. Ikaw, where did you come from? I thought you'd be here lang."

"May kinuha lang ako from a friend. Akyat lang ako to shower." He said, hoping that his answer was enough. He wanted to find the perfect timing to tell her about his surprise, but it looked like his curious wife was in the mood for questions.

"What did you get and what's that?" She pointed at the envelope that he was holding.

He grinned. "Nothing. New script lang for a new project."

"What project? You didn't tell me anything about a new project?" She asked. Lea was now up on her feet, arms crossed, and brow raised as high as it can go. "Spill it, Ian. You're a bad liar around me."

So, before things became a fight and since he was also excited about his plan, he decided to just tell her. "Well, Love... I know we have a deal last Christmas... but I -"

Lea's eyes became rounder as ever as she realized what he was about to say. "Oh no, you didn't!" she said while shaking his head.

Ian showed his charming face immediately. "Sorry! I can't help it! It's our anniversary, so of course I want to plan something for us!"

She groaned. "But we said no more gifts because we already splurged last Christmas!"

"I know.. I know.. Sorry na.. Pagbigyan mo na ako. Iba naman kasi ang anniversary kaya I really want to do this with you..."

Lea sighed because she knew she's going to give in and at the same time, she was curious about what he did. "What's that ba?"

"Well..." he cleared his throat. "Before doing this, I made sure that your schedule is already free, ha? Baka kasi ma-praning ka na I made plans without consulting you. Well, I consulted your manager because I was hoping this would be a surprise." He explained before giving her the envelope.

Lea opened it and her eyes widened as she read through. "No way!!! Are you serious about this, Love?"

Ian nodded. "Happy Anniversary, Love. I know that you wanted to go to Japan. So, we'll go there for our anniversary... and a friend is kind enough to let us use his private jet."

Her jaw dropped. "Private jet? Love! That's too much!"

Ian pulled her closer, wrapping his arms around her. "It's not too much... You know naman na I like spoiling you... And diba you said you wanted me to show you how good I am as a pilot? So there. I'll fly our plane going to Japan."

Lea buried herself on his chest because of happiness. "Gosh. Thank you, Love. This is perfect! I can't wait!"

"You are most welcome. So, keep those documents na. We'll leave in three weeks!" He lifted her chin and planted a kiss on her nose before pulling away from her.

Lea watched Ian go up to their room to take a shower. As soon as he was out of sight, she scrambled through her iPad to find a gift. She didn't expect this to happen. She's not prepared at all since they really had a pinky promise of not getting each other something for their anniversary. So now, she suddenly felt the pressure of getting him something that could match his surprise gift.