ASSISTANCE REQUIRED

Summary: I am very uncomfortable with the vibe we have created in the studio Infirmary today...

Fucking, fuck!

"I know in academy you were told to pierce the skin at a forty-five-degree angle, but it works a lot better if you-,"

"Go in at a fifteen-degree-angle, go parallel to the skin. I know," you huffed, embarrassment burning your skin. "That's not the issue. I do that. The issue is-,"

"That is the issue," Silver corrected, interrupted. Your preceptor-for-all-intents-and-purposes crossed her arms and stared at you with hard, unyielding eyes. "You won't listen to me," she spat. "You are the issue."

Calliope Silvren, or "Silver", as she'd informed you upon meeting, was everything you were supposed to be. And you hated her for that fact, hated her for that and so much more.

She was intelligent and concise and respected, she knew everything and made sure you were aware that you didn't. During the past eleven hours, not with so many words, Silver had made it clear that you were never supposed to be here to begin with, that hers was the name in the original provider candidate pool and you were nothing but a fluke, a nobody, nothing.

Compared to Silver, compared to Calliope fucking Silvren, who'd graduated valedictorian, who had star-white hair and golden skin, whose eyes were a harsh sea of frozen cerulean, whose legs were long and lips were full and head was high and posture was perfect – compared to the program's prototype? What were you other than a fluke? A whim? Compared to her, how were you anything more than the fascination you'd been labeled as from the very start?

As you stared up at her, her height almost that of Kylo's, and felt the wrath of that frozen sea that resided behind her glare, you couldn't speak. Every word of defense left you, and your mouth dried and your chest hollowed. Because her words not only rippled through your head but echoed through the unit's halls so every nurse and physician and maintenance worker had heard them. Heard her and how superior she was, heard how incompetent you were.

Silver knew what she'd done, could feel the eyes of her coworkers gawking at her scolding; you knew by the smallest quirk to her lip, the slightest tick in her platinum brow. She had you trapped and on display, and all you could do was stand here and take it. The Board was watching, and so was Hux – CB-7070 always shadowing ten paces behind – you had no choice but to remain neutral-faced and silent.

She spoke your name and it was beautiful, a voice like sugar even when it slithered and bit like venom, "We'll pick up tomorrow. If you absolutely need me, I'll be organizing my report sheets for the oncoming shift." When no one was looking anymore, her eyes narrowed and she leaned in. "Busy yourself for the next hour." A sneer slipped past the benevolent mask she wore. "Don't need me."

With a steel spine, she whipped past you, stalking off toward her task, the white of her hair streaking from your periphery. And there you were, clutching an IV starter kit – missing the needle, much like you'd missed the vein – trying your hardest to keep from showing any emotion whatsoever. Less people were gawking now that Silver had left, but you still felt eyes on you. Whatever lay in those lingering stares, pity or humor or apathy, it all burned you, reminded you how temporary you were. Not only in this place – the "Infirmary" as the staff referred to it – but in your life, as well.

Smoothing the skirt of your uniform, you cleared your throat and turned to do as you were instructed, catching CB-7070's visor for a second before peering around the unit. She faced you, and even though you couldn't see her face, you knew she may be the only one around who was on your side. The white of her helmet glinted as she gave a small nod in your periphery. Yeah, she wasn't so bad, no matter who she'd report to the second you got back to the Consulate.