A Different Position

Summary: General Hux gives you the run down of what to expect at your new assignment. Afterward, Kylo Ren makes an effort to welcome you personally.

---

There you were, kneeling in front of the Commander of the First Order in front of every living soul in your new, expansive, foreign workplace. Your eyes were saucers and your face was screaming red. You barely registered Kylo Ren's suggestive remark as you clambered back upright, praying that, at the very least, General Hux hadn't seen you in your incriminating position. Your prayers went unanswered.

You heard a strangled "H-hm," behind you, and the red in your cheeks trickled down to your chest. You turned to meet his unimpressed glare.

"Good morning, general Hux," was the only thing that came to your mouth.

His face didn't move an inch from its usual disgusted and stoic state, "Now that you're here, I can discuss your new position."

You gave him a tight nod and followed in his quick footsteps, feeling Kylo Ren's gaze on the back of your shoulders until you left the main functioning area. Hux led you into a room you could only assume was his office. It was freezing, every piece of furnishing was metal. You sat and were shocked by the burn of ice beneath your clothed thighs.

He walked around to his chair, metal as well, and stared at you, considering your presence. He finally sat and pulled a file from his desk. He took a sheet from it and slid it across the table for you to take.

Your eyes dropped from his to the paper in front of you. Upon further examination you realized it was a flight schedule. But, not just a general one that included all the TIE-fighters. No, this was the flight schedule for the Command Shuttle. The ship used to transport Kylo Ren to and from his mysterious escapades. You were confused; why would you need a flight schedule at all, let alone for the most elite ship in the First Order?

You glanced back up to Hux, who looked like he'd rather be anywhere in the world than here with you. You cleared you throat. "Sir, will you explain why I was called up here? And why I would ever need a copy of the Command Shuttle's flight schedule?" You tried your best to sound respectful, not wanting to piss off another member of the elite.

He glared at you for a few more seconds before speaking. "I'm sure you are aware of the growing tensions between the Resistance and the First Order," he paused until you offered an understanding nod. "Due to their growing resources, Supreme Leader Snoke has found it necessary to assign each member of the elite an individual care provider who will be available, and responsible, for any emergency care needed by their assigned master."

Your body stilled at his last word. Master. It rang around in your head, making you nauseous at the thought of being theoretically chained to an authority figure. You swallowed and continued to listen to Hux's explanation.

"You, along with several other new graduates," his admission to numerous new workers lifted some weight off of your shoulders, "have been called upon in order to shape you into the first line responders that the First Order expects you to be. You, however," his nose twitched under these words, "were specifically chosen by Commander Ren," his eyes held yours for a minute, looking for any inclination that you had any clue as to why. His expression fell in disappointment when your face met him with the same confusion he must have felt towards the decision.

What did you do to deserve this? He could not have orchestrated all of this in the time between seeing him today. No, this had to have been planned at least weeks in advance. You had not even been working for a month; there is no possible way that he'd entrust you with his safety and health. Why did he insist on pulling you into situations that made your skin burn, that made you grow contemptuous towards him? Did he think it was funny? Making you feel like a fish out of water? Was this all a game to him?