Chapter 20

"Hey, Promise," Zayn said as he walked to my lunch table. Ever since Harry told me about Zayn three days ago, I was never able to look at him the same. He had no idea I knew about what he did nor will he. I played it cool with him when he talked to me.

"Hi." I say.

"So um, I'm going to see Niall and Theo, wanna come?" I didn't want to go anywhere alone with him.

"No it's fine thanks." I smiled and he shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

The bell rang and all of the people who say at my table left. The cafeteria started to clear out as people went to their classes and lockers. I sat still. Some kids starred and gave me strange looks as I was soon left by my whole class.

I looked to find staff or janitors. No one. Finally, I stood up, threw my trash away, and made my way to the parking lot, fast. I sprinted to my car and struggled with my keys.

The car started and I sped out of the parking lot, towards the hospital. I didn't want to be at school and I knew I was skipping, but I wanted to see Theo.

The drive to the hospital was short. I walked into the doors and I passed the front desk. I stepped into the elevator and hit 13. As the elevator rose butterflies flew into my stomach.

What if she's loosing so much blood she looks different? What if she's unconscious when I go in there? I imagined a pale body, shriveled up on the hospital bed. Tubes and IV's coming out of her arm.

I hesitantly walked to her door and carefully opened it. While I shut the door behind me I looked at her. Fear left me as I saw Theo, as normal looking as ever. There were IV's and other sorts of equipment coming off of her.

"Promise?" She broke my train of thought.

"Hey," I said shyly.

"Why aren't you in school?" She was worried.

"I wanted to see you?" It sounded more like a question then an answer.

"So you're skipping class to come see me?"

"Uh, yeah. That's exactly what I'm doing." I said with a smile.

"Thanks," she said. "I never told you I was put back in here.. How did you know?"

"Zayn." I replied quickly, disgusted by even his name. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I dunno, I didn't want you to worry, and I didn't think I was going to be in here for this long." She looked away from me ashamed.

"It's okay. I understand." I walked over to the chair the was next to her bed. I moved it closer and sat on it, looking at her arms.

"What is it, Promise?" She asked.

"How deep was it?"

"Deep." She paused and looked at her wrists. "I cut this vain," she took my arm and pointed to the biggest vain in my wrist, "wide open. If you didn't come get me, I would've bleed out in a matter of minutes."

I began to feel sick. "It's okay, no more. All that matters is you're here now."

I stayed at the hospital until school was let out. Theo and I talked about Zayn, Niall, and Harry. Niall had gone to see Theo everyday right after school. He brought her something different everyday. One time it was a huge bear, another time a rose, another he brought her favorite book.

"How much longer are they keeping you this time?" I asked asked as I stood up from the chair I was on.

"I'm not exactly sure," She said. "Maybe tomorrow. They think it will take less time then they though." She held her wrists to me.

"That's great! I hate this place." I said. "Text me if you need anything, yeah?"

"Yeah." We smiled and I left.

I got into my car. 3:34pm. Just in time. I turned on the radio and drove out of the parking lot. Ed Sheeran was on the radio.

His new album was a huge hit. The song that played was Afire Love. I started singing along, trying to forget. Forget about Zayn, trying to forget about how hurt Theo was. I wanted to forget it all.

Things were all good yesterday

And then the devil took your memory

And if you fell to your death today

I hope that heaven is your resting place

I heard the doctors put your chest in pain

But then that could have been the medicine

There you are lying in the bed again

Either way I'll cry with the rest of them

There was no traffic. No one to worry about. Just Ed and me.

Darlin' hold me in your arms

The way you did last night

And we'll lie inside

For a little while here oh

Songs gave me life. Songs that meant something to me were my life.

A loud car horn snapped me into reality. A huge sixteen wheeler was coming straight at me. I tried turning the wheel but nothing was working in my panicked state. What was he doing? What was happening? I realized I drifted into the other opposite lane while I was off in my own world.

I could look into your eyes

Until the sun comes up

And we're wrapped in light and life and love

The truck hit my side of the car at full speed.

Then, nothing.

______________
if you didn't get the song, read it again, it fits the seen perfectly :)