chapter 9

Wil P.O.V

I woke up to the terrible aching in my left arm. My whole body felt numb and uncomfortable as if it wasn't mine.

 I managed to open my swollen eyes and look around. I was wearing a patient's clothing. There were dozens of medical beds with children on them. Some even younger than me. The middle of the room was divided with a thick electric glass that wasn't very easy to spot. Once you touch it you would either die if it was programmed with heavy electricity or knock you out if it was light. It was smart to avoid them since both would probably hurt like hell.

With all the strength I could possibly use, I sat up on the hard mattress. When I tried to get down, my legs gave way beneath me and I crumpled to the ground. I rose to my feet slowly. Letting my hands hold on to the bed poll.

I soon gained balance and began to travel the large room. The room seemed empty somehow even though there were lots of kids here with me...perhaps kids who were going to sleep for the next few days. 

I then realized that I was hungry.

Really hungry.

I looked around for a clock. Hoping to figure out how long I have been here. The walls were bare...whiter then ever.

I reached the end of the room. That was when I saw something like a stool. It was covered with rough silk. I felt my curiosity start to catch fire.

Surely I can take a slight peek...

When I reached forward to take the cover off, someone stopped me.

"Hold on. You really think its safe?" someone asked.

I whirled around. Scanning each bed to figure out who had said it. 

"Over here." the voice said. A hint of amusement in its voice. 
Whoever it was, this person was enjoying this.

I spotted a girl sitting up on her bed on the other side of the glass. She had dark auburn hair that curled down to her back. Freckles sprinkled her nose but weren't really visible if you looked at her from far away. She might have been the prettiest girl I've met so far. And probably the last.

"Hey," she said pleasantly. 
"I just woke up."

I couldn't believe this girl. We didn't even know each other and she was trying to make a conversation! Talk about idiotic.

"So what," I asked. Hoping to make her mad. 

She grinned slightly. The whole situation was ridiculous. 
"I'm Lilith and I'm 12." 

I glared at her. Thinking about what I should say to make her stop smiling. Then I realized that she wasn't the kind that you can retort. I just wished she would stop bugging me.
"I'm 12 too." I told her. Making it clear that I wasn't enthusiastic in talking to her.

She raised her eyebrows as if expecting something.
"Who are you?" she asked.

I frowned. I didn't want to tell her my name.
"Who am I? Well I'm me. Who else?"

When I told her that, she cocked her head back and began laughing. There was a long scar on her neck.

"What's that on your neck then." I asked, keeping a certain amount of animosity for now.

The girl stopped laughing. "Oh..this?"

"I got it before I came here." she finally said with a shaky voice. Her eyes moved frantically about the room and her face went pale as if she had seen a ghost..or as if being reminded of something so horrible she couldn't bear.