Chapter28

Young Ashley P.O.V

There were five of us. All of the same age. All with different 'allergies'. 

102 could read the past of every creature or thing. This made her the nosiest person among us. She always got into fights with 104 because 104 hated mentioning his past.

 Of course, all of us wanted to forget about the place we came from. 104 was the only one edgy enough to describe his hate. His blood could turn into lava, making him glow all red if he was angry or agitated. 

105 was a shy helpless blabber. We only called him that because he could make and tell any story if we were tired after a training session. But he kept his mouth shut during training. That always made him the first in line to get punished. His tissue-making collagen was somehow connected to his vocal cords. He could heal scars when he talked. But he never got a chance to try it out on us...which tortured him.

103 was my fondest friend among the other four. She could control gravity. In other words, she could fly. Like a beautiful bird. But not all birds are free.

And 101. She could turn anything into water by just touching it. Anything. It didn't matter if it was something living or not. 

101 was me. I was like the bunch of them. The same old monsters humans treated like pets. And I knew there were more of us in other rooms.

I was sick a lot when I was there. Nobody could look after me. The humans gave up after giving me a few pills to eat. They gave up on my life. I suffered, but I survived.

All of us lived in the same room. But we were all locked in our bubble that kept our allergies inside. None of us had seen each other up close. Even after being trained together for almost two years, we never got to know each other's names. 

Which we were forbidden to say out loud.

I liked my name. It reminded me of my twin who didn't have an allergy. I had to keep him inside my head all the time. I didn't want to forget him. From what I remember, he was skinny.  He didn't really worry about getting caught. He was fast, with movements sharp enough to hunt anything. We were both young when we were brought here from the Sapiens. We had escaped a lab after it had been bombed by the humans.

We were about to starve when an older girl in a uniform 'saved' us. A yellow uniform as I remember. Doesn't really help that I know what that meant now. She was so kind and helpful that we were fooled completely.

As soon as I confessed that I had allergies, I was brought here. And I never saw my twin ever since. They gave us just enough food to keep us alive. They trained us to use our powers for 'good use'.

Humans were the superior of this man-made planet. Us, the Clones would be just below humans if we obeyed. Far below if we betrayed.

I wanted to at least be something that was close to superior. All of the others wanted that too. So we obeyed.

But I remember that strong will to escape. It was impossible...but sweet. 

Pity it hadn't come true. 

But somewhere in my heart lay something better than escaping. It was sweeter and much more impossible. But humans say dreams come true. 

Maybe it was finding my twin whom I wished was still waiting for me. Maybe it was seeing 103 up close...talking to my best friend face-to-face. Maybe it was having a normal family, living like a normal human being with small wishes with nothing to worry about.

But it wasn't that.

Maybe, just maybe...it was revenge.