4. Backstory - Vision

It was a disgusting day. Rain mixed with snow, the coldest temperature. But that was the least of her concerns. As she was laying down on the freezing ground, she was struggling to keep her consciousness. The recovery was slower than ever. The experiment directed by Dottore a few days ago was too much to handle even for her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Venti was still looking for her. He hadn't had a chance to visit her for quite some time, and the moment he came back, it was like a whole different scenery in front of him. The kids weren't playing outside, and the house seemed deadly quiet. He wanted to question the parents, but it's like they vanished. That nervous feeling kept him from thinking straight. He didn't expect to be as worried as he was, but he desperately wanted to find his little friend. Most of all, the only thing he was currently thinking about wasn't the reason they had to leave, he only wanted to know where she was, and if she was safe. For the first time in a while, he was hit with that lonesome feeling he knew so well..

After weeks of searching and tracking the family, he confronted them. Both parents moved into a larger house. It looked way more lively and colorful than it used to be. None of the children seemed to be around, while the man and woman were happily sitting in the cozy living room sipping alcoholic drinks without a care in the world. Where were the children? They can't possibly be sleeping at this time of the day? He wanted to make sure of it himself, and quietly took a tour of the house from outside, quickly peeking through the windows. They were nowhere to be seen. This made his blood boil. He was frustrated, but as much as he wanted to express what he was actually feeling, he had to talk to them, and find out the truth. Unfortunately, he's been expecting some resistance. Up until now, they've never seen the boy's face. It's only natural to feel skeptical. Not until he introduced himself. Looking at their expressions, his name appeared familiar to them, making the mother burst into tears. They invited him inside and sat around the kitchen table. "So, you're Venti. Aekls did mention your name a few times in the past. I'm glad she had a friend she could look up to." The father brought some floral tea to calm everyone's nerves down, but Venti declined the offer. He got impatient and proceeded with questioning right away. "Why the past tense?" he asked with difficulty. He was trying hard to keep his neutral composure. Their answer progressively affected his temper even more. After a while, he couldn't stand listening to any more of it. He brusquely stood up, pressing his trembling hands on the table while he blankly stared at the teapot in front of him. "Did you even fight back?" he said slowly. Silence. "Did you at least try to negotiate? Or mora was your top priority?". He added, turning his gaze at the mother. "We didn't have a choice!" The father hissed bluntly from the side. "...What about Collei?". The mother seemed on the verge of tears again, but he didn't care. "Cowards." He said, in a low tone, before his body began evaporating into light particles of wind that flew out the nearest window. He couldn't be wasting any more time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's obviously not the first time he's visiting Snezhnaya, so the investigation didn't take too much time. In the past, he would often visit and attempt pranks on the Cryo Archon, this is why he had to act subtle and not attract too much attention if he wanted to get Aekls out of the fatui's hands. Better not anger the Tsaritsa or even fall under her radar for a time being.

After circling the area a bit, he flew closer to Dottore's lab building. He quietly called out her name a few times but there was no response. Was this the wrong building? Unless...

He quickly shook his head to get rid of the possible worst-case scenarios and kept looking.

"Ah, I didn't check this room yet. It's the first floor huh... Must be freezing if someone's actually in there."