6. Backstory - Escape

"So you're telling me that this kid will keep his promise?" said Venti, facing Aekls while both were sitting on the floor, next to that window again. He somehow managed to teleport inside the room and kept doing that every evening since the day he found her.

"Well, at least I'm hoping he would. It didn't seem like he was lying"

The weather outside was as dreadful as ever. The silence was peaceful, one of the only moments both of them could relax was on a day like this.

"You seem more cheerful these days" He pointed out.

"Do i?" She chuckled. "I mean, at least my escape plan has a base now. I've got one more ally. This time it really feels like we could make it"

He looked at her for a moment, then turned away with a bitter feeling.

"I'm sorry" He apologized, looking at his feet.

"What are you apologizing for?" She gazed at him with a confused look.

"As one of the Archons, one of the Gods, I am supposed to be able to help you. Should've done that way earlier. But for some reason, I'm at a loss." He sighed painfully. "I should've never given you those wings. With my will to keep you safe..it completely backfired".

"You did mention that you're one of the weakest Gods too, right? Like you said once, freedom is something that comes with a price, right?" She gently smiled at him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm surprised you remember that. If I remember correctly I blabbered those freedom thoughts when you were still just a toddler!"

"There's nothing to feel guilty about Venti." She continued "You don't owe me anything. What happened, happened for a reason. I'm thankful enough that you stayed by my side all those years, especially when you were in no obligation to do so."

"I guess that's partly right," He sighed. "But even so, maybe I should attempt to negotiate with the Cryo Archon. She's not particularly fond of me, but I don't think I can bare to keep looking at you getting hurt anymore".

"No- It's alright! Well, for now at least. Don't get yourself in trouble. With Ajax's help, things might go way smoother than we think. In the meantime, I started using Dottore's tricks as practice! I will come out of here a fighter. Ready for anything that comes my way!" She said determinedly.

"At this point, I can't tell whether that Ajax guy is a good or a bad influence on you" He smiled mockingly "His strong-willed desire for victory sure is admirable" He paused, carefully observing his own reflection in her eyes, then looked back at her and said: "Either way...I'm proud of you"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Another year has passed, Ajax really impressed everyone with how quickly he'd learn new techniques of the battle, however, he figured the training might take way longer than expected. Which meant that he would not gain enough authority and power to help Aekls anytime soon. That became a problem. Ajax decided to use his potential against his superiors. He had his ways with words. At first, he would come forward with his request and politely demand that Dottore let his friend go, if they wanted to keep his fidelity. Of course, that wouldn't have been much of a problem, but they wanted improvement in return. To test his determination, they made him fight against professional Fatui agents, or sometimes, even fearless monsters with a higher difficulty level. To prove his worth. As anyone would expect, the battlefield became messy. He was already a warrior at the age of 14.

One day, as one of the experiments was in progress, Ajax barged into the observatory hall a few floors higher, where Dottore was, and, with that same smile, boldly told him to let the subject go.