34: ONISM

ONISM: THE FRUSTRATION OF BEING STUCK IN JUST ONE BODY, THAT INHABITS ONLY ONE PLACE AT A TIME

Once I read a novel called, it's kind of a funny story. The writer was Ned Vizzini, someone whose name I had never heard before. It wasn't much of a surprise though, as I was never an avid reader and that book was just something I had found in my sister's little collection. And I took that to pass the humdrum summer vacation of 2014.

Quite shockingly, I stuck to that book. When I finished I was deeply touched by the whole premise- which, was a boy wanting to attempt suicide and getting hospitalized in a mental institution, to find a whole bunch of unorthodox and 'crazy' people, namely, patients who changed his view of life, helped him to find himself.

I was so delighted that I searched up the writer on the internet, only to find that he had died the previous year of suicide.

It's kind of a funny story was taken from his own life. He only made it to thirty.

Humans were enigmatic creatures. You could barely understand an open person, let alone a reticent one like Wonho.

Hyungwon was sick. I wanted to reprimand myself because I knew he had gradually gotten to that point. I had been so focused on everything else that I failed to notice, or if I did, didn't act upon it when I saw him deteriorating.

Now that I finally took him in, my eyes searching his, taking in the sickly pallor, the countless resemblances with Alexander, I found my heart writhing in pain. I could barely breathe.

He had a high fever. And he refused to look at me even after being stuck to his bed. "You want to eat something?" I said, my voice strange to my own ears.

"You should go to him," he replied, voice barely audible. Then he let out a small sigh and focused on the empty and dilapidated wall by his side. "You don't have much time."

It was thirtieth October.

I hadn't met Chae Alexander ever since that talk in the public library, and I hadn't visited my part-time as well. I finally quit it. The job started with Hyungwon showing up in my life and ended with Alexander.

After that, Alexander had called once, Wonho, none. His number was out of reach, and it was becoming normal at this point not to expect to hear his voice anymore.

"When does it happen? The exact time he dies." I had never asked Hyungwon this question because even a few weeks ago it seemed to me it was not going to happen, or I had desperately tried to believe so.

"The first hours of November 1. From midnight to two or three in the morning." Hyungwon still had his face turned towards the wall.

"October 31st is the last day I can see him if I do?"