9. REDAMANCY

REDAMANCY: THE ACT OF LOVING IN RETURN

"Are you sure you have an idea of what you're doing here?" The curly haired boy spoke with a grimace, and it seemed like he had an eternal sullen look on his face for I'd never seen a change of expression on him, not even the furthest back I could remember when I first saw him with Wonho at this very age-old staircase.

"Precisely," I said as I struggled with the device in my hand, a camera. The model before us was Wonho, sitting on top of a stair and reclining his head back, watching the westering sun fading in the wide blue yonder.

I took a second to observe him. "Yes, that posture is great! Stay just like that!"

The boy in the yellow shirt flinched when he heard me. He spared me a puzzled glance then laughed. "I wasn't really-," he cut his sentence off in the middle and nodded with a smile. "Okay, since I don't know what else to do."

I struggled with the camera lens again, muttering only to myself, "me neither."

The annoying little prick by my side sighed loudly and snatched the camera from my hands. "I can see that!"

Perhaps my voice wasn't as inaudible as I'd thought it was. The boy, who was called Yoo Kihyun, Wonho's classmate from the music department and a senior like him, seemed like he knew exactly what he was doing. Fervently he knelt on the ground and put off his round specs (I wondered if those were for decoration anyway), he guided Wonho how to sit and face where. Kihyun's ardour in taking the pictures refrained me from retaining the camera from him.

"By the way." He pushed back the curls that messily fell on his forehead with his left hand as he gave me a momentary glance. "You could've told Wonho you needed him to send a few nice photos to include in your monthly— weekly magazine, or whatsoever, couldn't you?"

His voice was smug, so was his face and I could see that little, lopsided smirk when he was taking the photos. To Wonho it may have seemed like a civil conversation from that far up, but I was fuming in anger, and embarrassment here.

"I wanted fresh photos of him. I borrowed the camera from our club even!"

"Sure," Kihyun replied with a mocking tone, "As if I haven't seen you asking him out the other day. And at this very place even!"

I grabbed my unruly hair in frustration, a dancing mess on my head with the evening breeze wafting by. "Just do what you're supposed to do, please."

"I think these should be enough." He stood up from the ground, taller than me a little, but his eyes were down to mine in his pretentious manner. "It will be dark very soon and you won't be able to take many photos with this camera then."

With a scowl on my face and a snarl on my tongue I started on checking the photos he had taken. Surprisingly, they were good.

Good enough to be printed, or even being showed at an exhibition. Clearly some were meant for commercial purpose, with a method that made Wonho look like the model student he was and how much he deserved to be on the magazine. Yet there were those of a grand scenario, the fissure-decorated ancient staircase, the gloomy atmosphere of a sunset, and a picturesque golden boy in a yellow shirt admiring the death of the sun.