11. NODUS TOLLENS

NODUS TOLLENS: THE REALIZATION THAT THE PLOT OF YOUR LIFE DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO YOU ANYMORE

"You know what, I'm not in the mood for a joke right now," I said as he was staring at me vacantly, eyes unblinking. The air was putrid and growing heavy around us with each second passing by. He surely didn't look like he was kidding, we didn't have some sort of relationship to crack jokes with each other anyway.

"You don't understand," he finally choked out, a slight tremor in his voice. "That day in the rain, you were the person I was looking for..."

I took a step back. The water from the wet gravel seeping in through my flats. I took a long inhale and thought to myself if it was he who was drugged or me who got drunk after only a glass of beer. If the latter was the case, I'd never take a mere sip of alcohol in my life again.

Because this conversation felt too vivid, real. I couldn't tell if he was lying. I myself could barely say a word, as if my throat had constricted on its own, the muscles in a spasm.

"I can show you proof. We can sit down and discuss rationally."

The boy looked too unfamiliar, like a hologram or a projectile image standing there with a black umbrella on his hand. I instinctively took another step back. Nothing he was saying was rational. His brows raised and met themselves in the middle, his expression screaming despair.

"Please, this is for your own good. Everyone else has failed. You are his last chance!"

He was possibly crazy, a madlad. Why was I even listening to him anymore? Even a small behaviour that was out of place should've made me run, that's how my sense should've grown after everything that had happened. Yet, my legs were stuck, like I was standing on quicksand. The gravel was swallowing me in a whole, his words devouring me.

"Who?" I barely managed to say.

He opened his mouth to say, then closed it again. Then he said the words and I could feel the oxygen from my lungs getting knocked out.

"Lee Hoseok. Wonho."

How did he know his name?

My knees felt weak under my weight. "Sun Hee," Hyungwon called out my name, his hoarse voice cutting through the thick air around us.

I almost felt dizzy, a vague sense of nausea hit me. Though thankfully I could feel my bodily senses coming back. "Stop! Don't say a word," I wanted to shout but the sound came out almost inaudible.

He heard it, nonetheless, I was sure.

Shooting him a judging glance from head to toe, I dashed toward the staircase, and I almost jumped my way through the rooftop. While I was unlocking the door to my place I could feel my hands shaking tremendously. I dropped the key too once. All I could think was that he would reappear from the back and— I couldn't think any further, I didn't know what else would happen but it seemed like a nightmare already.