One: The Weirdest Day.

This is just another day. 

Good things don't last forever though...

One down, 34 more to go!

*Jake POV*

I started my walk to school that morning reflecting on all the lied I've told. Mostly, I was thinking about why I really joined the club. On this seemingly random, brisk Monday morning, I started questioning myself. Is Daisy really my primary motivation for joining the club? Is she the reason I'm pouring my heart and soul- everything I've got- into our music? I've loved singing since I was a kid, but I've kept it inside for so long. Deep down, I know I'm deluding myself, I know that's the real reason I joined the club, not a girl... Maybe I should tell Drew and them about how I really feel... Maybe...

Nah, I'm not ready for that yet, I'll do it eventually though.

I was so lost in my mental deep dive that I made it to school before I even knew it. The most boring place in the universe, where children go to have their souls rended whole by the reaper named 'The Ministry of Education.' 

The first thing I hear is Drew call out my name rather angrily, "Hey Jake! Get over here!"

Fun, amazing, exactly what I need first thing in the morning.

 I went over because I had no choice, "Heyyyyyy Drew... Watchya doing?", I asked zestily. 

"I don't care. Let's go.", he spat, rendering me fully confused. What's up with him today? Not to mention, it's 8 am, half an hour before school even starts. Where the hell is he taking me? 

So naturally, as to ease my worries, I decided to ask him, "Hey, Drew, where are we going?", maintaining my unserious tone.

 "You. Don't. Need. To. Know." He uttered through gritted teeth. Even for someone like Drew who can be erratic at times, this behaviour was straight up weird.

"Why won't you just tell me?" I pressed.

"Ugh, fine. We're going to the back of the school to... Talk."

Shoot, practice starts now, if I'm late again, Zander's gonna have me hung! I don't have time for this...

"Uhh well actually I have to go to the music club, we also pract-"

Drew interrupted me as his entire expression clouded, morphing into an ugly contorted mess. I've never seen him like this... It's unnerving. 

"That's exactly what we're going to talk about, Jake."

What?

"Why do we need to talk about that. I've been seeing how you act, why do are you being such a pill about me joining the music club! I told you I would leave, just trust me Drew.", I retorted instinctively.

"Why are YOU being so defensive, I know you want to be there, you won't leave. YOU'RE A LIAR!"

What the fuck is he on about?

"WHAT HAS GOTTEN INTO YOU?!", I screamed. Everyone within earshot instantly turned and affixed their gazes onto us. Luckily though, nobody had their phone out.

I sighed deeply, "Drew, I'm leaving. I don't have time for this, and I need to get to practice... I just really don't wanna hear it.", I finally said.

What's gotten into him? Why is he magically so angry? I know he's jealous, I'm not quite as dense as Ash from the pokemon , but this is a whole new level. He got aggressive with me, crossing a line he hasn't dared to in all the time I've known him. 

However, there was obviously a lot of truth to what he was saying... Well, more like it was all true. Who in tarnation told him I was staying? How did he even get the idea in the first place?

And on the off chance his mind isn't just running wild... How did anyone even find out my true intentions?

*Zander POV*

"Look, see, he's late again. I've been telling you guys, we need to kick him to the curb."

"C'mon Zander, we need a singer! No vocals, no band.", said Luke, once again trying to defend Jake's chronic tardiness. 

Honestly, I'm appalled by the fact that the ENTIRE CLUB lets Jake be late EVERY SINGLE DAY! I mean, who knows what he's doing! He can't be trusted! Hell, maybe he's back talking us, o-

"Zander, don't get paranoid," Milly chided, practically reading my thoughts.

"I'M NOT PARANOID MILLY!"

Milly shot me a disgusting stink eye. 

"Chill, you sound crazy."

I was just about to continue on my tangent, lecturing Milly on the nature of my mental state, but I was rudely interrupted by a certain peach-coloured nuisance. 

"So sorry I'm late guys! Drew and I got into a little bit of a huge fight..." Jake feebly eeked out, an excuse for sure, and a poorly crafted one at that.

"WHAT A STUPID LAZY LITTLE EXCUSE YOU DUMB INSURANCE AGENT ROACH LOOKING AS MO-"

"STOP ZANDER!", everyone aside from Jake and I screamed in unison.

I took one breath, not to calm me down or anything, but just for kicks. 

"Fine. Tell us about this so-called 'fight with Drew'." I drawled, my tone dripping with mockery.

I was eager to hear Jake stumble and fall on his face spectacularly as he blatantly lied to everyone's faces, but his excuse was sadly passable. 

"So, basically Drew suddenly accused me and said that I was lying about leaving the club-"

Never. Mind. That.

"AHA! SEE, SEE, SEE! I FUCKING KNEW IT! I KNEW HE WAS A LYING BACKSTABBING BITCH! I AM VINDICATED, I AM INVINCIBLE! JAKE, GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE BEFORE I KILL YOU AND DRAG YOUR CORPSE OUT BACK THEN SHOW IT TO YOUR FAMILY, TELL THEM THAT THEIR SON WAS A FU-"

"CHILL ZANDER! Geez, let me finish... Anyways, he said he knew I was going to stay, which is true. The issue is that I never anybody that I was staying, I mean, I just let you guys kinda imply it, but I never explicitly said it. So, I have no clue why he suddenly flipped out on me, and I couldn't really take it so I just removed myself from the whole thing. "Jake rambled rather uninterestingly. His personal life was honestly pretty damn boring, except for the part where it could help make sense of something weird I witnessed...

"Got proof?" I asked curiously.

"What if I told you no? I mean, that is unless you take word of mouth...?" Jake muttered nervously, doing everything but twiddling his thumbs.

"Goddamnit Jake, are you sure that there wasn't a camera or someone recording?"

"I mean, it was at the front of the school so there probably was a camera..."

Jackpot.

"I want to see it. I want the tape."

I know, I'm crazy, but if what he's saying is true, then it would explain so much...

Luke stared straight into my eyes like he was trying to read my mind, his eyes were full of concern as he reached out to grab my hand.

"Zander... What happened? Are you okay?" Luke asked frantically, raw, desperate worry in his eyes. It made my heart skip a beat.

I sighed internally as I recalled the convoluted memories weighing down on me. 

"Don't worry Luke, I'm okay, it's just confusing... And a long story..."

CHAPTER END

A/N, 29/8/24: First chapter edit of many, the edits will be largely minor through to the end.