Chapter 6

Hello my fellow readers! I know, I know. I've said this plenty of times already. But please allow me a moment to express my appreciation again for you who took the time to leave me a review. I genuinely appreciate it more than you know! So a huge thank you to all of you! You are all wonderful! Anyways, please enjoy this next chapter of Take a Bullet! :)

                   Claire's P.O.V.

I never imagined feeling like this for someone I barely even know.

It's like a crush. I blush. I get giddy. My heart races.

But then it's so much more than that at the same time. I'm drawn to him. It's like an intangible rope is between us. He holds one end while I hold the other. The further apart we are, the more strain and tension I feel. The closer we are, the more relaxed and comfortable I feel.

This isn't how it is supposed to happen.

I'm supposed to know someone for months, maybe even years, before having this connection with them. I'm supposed to be able to know everything about them before feeling anything for them. I'm supposed to trust them to get such an intense reaction to them. And most of all, I'm supposed to feel stable and secure.

But with Sean, I get the exact opposite. I've only interacted with him for a number of minutes. I know absolutely nothing about him except that he probably saved Bryan's life and is struggling with something I can't comprehend. I don't trust him...yet. And his mood swings give me the complete opposite feeling of a constant security.

He is the opposite of what I need.

I need someone... safe. Someone comfortable. I don't need someone mysterious who can't deal with all my issues on top of his own.

And yet, he is stirring up all these butterflies within me that I've never experienced before. I can't explain it and my literal mind is getting quite frustrated at the fact.

I smile at him before diving into the first question in my interview. It is pretty generic and safe. "Why did you decide to enlist?"

His relaxed expression immediately tenses. His captivating green eyes darken. He scowls.

Okay, perhaps it wasn't as safe and generic as I thought.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you..." I trail off.

He shakes his head. "You didn't. Can we start with another question?"

"Sure," I respond with a warm smile before glancing back down at my notepad and the questions I thought of last night. I scan over them trying to find one that seemed less personal than the first since Sean is obviously too guarded to share something personal.

I decided to ask him something that would pertain to all the soldiers, not just him. "How did the soldiers interact with the civilians?"

"Whenever we weren't sent somewhere, an interpreter tagged along to break through the language barrier. The adults were pretty weary of us," he responds as he glances at his lap. "But the kids," he continues with a small smile. "They were a lot of fun. We would play soccer with them sometimes. It's crazy how one soccer ball could make them so happy."

"That was the infuriating part sometimes. Knowing how kids the same age back home aren't content unless they have a fucking video game or whatever." He pauses after he sees me wince slightly at his cursing. "I'm sorry. My emotions get the best of me sometimes."

I quickly shake my head. "No, no. I admire that. I'm a little reserved with my own emotions," I laugh under my breath as I jot down some notes. "You're not inclined to answer this, but I'd really like to know. What was the hardest thing about being in battle?" I glance up at him from behind my eyelashes somewhat fearing his reactions to my question.