17 • Did You Ever Believe In Me?

Alice had been too stressed to even think clearly about what she had to do next, which is why FP saw it his responsibility to wake up Charles and call Fred, telling him to come to the Wyrm as soon as possible.

In a rush, they had made their way over to the bar and when Alice saw the smoke coming out of her life's work she let out a heartbreaking sob. FP quickly took her hand, figuring she was going to need his support. She held onto it tightly, like he was her lifeline and she'd die if she'd let go.

They hurried inside, where the firemen had put out the fire as fast as they could. Fortunately, it was only one side of the bar that was still smolding in ashes.

"Miss Smith?" One of the firemen approached her, a sad look on his face.

"I'm so sorry. We've tried to limit the damage as much as we possibly could, but it's still worse than we'd ever hoped." He gestured to the front, where she could see the stairs almost collapsing.

Alice cried silently, having no words to describe how she was feeling. Usually, she always knew what to say but something was squeezing her throat shut. She couldn't speak.

FP didn't hesitate and pulled her close into his embrace, soothing her softly. He couldn't magically make it all better, but he was going to try anyway.

"Do we know what started the fire?" FP asked, wanting to get some more information.

"It seems like it's foul play. It started upstairs, in the office." The fireman told him, gesturing for the door that led to place that used to be an office.

"The place you stayed...." Fred said, immediately connecting the dots and looked at FP in worry. What would've happened if Alice hadn't invited him over?

"But how could...." Alice wanted to ask so many things, but she couldn't even finish one sentence.

"Someone started the fire, miss Smith. It looks like you have an enemy out there who's out to hurt you." He said, giving her a sad look. Of course he wished he didn't have to bring her such bad news, but there was no doubt in his mind. This was arson.

"Who would do something like that?" Charles said, both confused, sad and angry.

"We don't know, kid. But if you do know anything of value, please let the police now. They are taking over this case. They will be here soon to do an inspection." He told them, telling him that their job was done. The police was going to find out what really happened.

"Thank you, sir." FP thanked him kindly, still holding Alice as close as he could.

"Come, sit down." He gestured for one of the booths, where they all took a seat.

"We're gonna get whoever did this to you, Mom." Charles promised, as he tried to catch her eyes.

"This is my life's work. I've tried to create a home for the Serpents that is way more than just a bar and now... it is ruined." Alice said sadly, her shoulders still shocking.

"What if it isn't you who they were trying to hurt?" Fred said suddenly, making all eyes turn his way.

"They said the fire started in the room where FP was staying? What if someone knew? Do you have any enemies?" He asked FP, even though it felt like a long shot.

"Besides my wife? Not that I know of." FP said, not believing this was a great lead.

"But even Gladys wouldn't be that insane." He said. However, Fred had another gut feeling.

"Maybe we should read over your contract tomorrow, just in case. It might give some insights to see who's upset about your trip to Riverdale." Fred told him.